•david luiz•

By imagingfootball

There was no two ways about it, you felt completely awful. You had never once missed one of David's game before, to make it even worse you had promised him that would be there and now your work had got in the way. You had just managed to catch the final score before you had left and it hadn't gone well.

Pulling your car to a stop outside of David's house you climbed from the car and ran through the rain that was pouring down over the city through the front door. "David?" You called out to hear no response. "David, I'm so sorry. I don't know what to say." You ran through the hallway into the living room.

There he was sat there staring blankly at the television screen looking as if he wasn't really paying attention to anything that was happening. "David? Are you okay?"

"You promised." His voice was nothing but a low husk and you felt your insides crumble as he stood up. "You promised me that you would be there. Do you know how terrible it was when I saw everyone else with their wives and girlfriends that were there to support them and I was alone."

Sighing you said. "I know. I really tried to get away from work-"

"Work is more important than me? Than our relationship?" He growled at you as you put your head down and shook it. "Then why weren't you there?" His voice was coarse as his voice grew a little louder. "I needed you." That was all that you needed to hear to step closer to him and place both of your hands on his wrists.

"David, I wish... I wish I could go back and change things. I'm really sorry." You told him staring up into his usually happy eyes that were now dark and angered.

He just stared at you for a moment before spitting out. "Is that meant to change anything? Whenever you need me I'm there for you in seconds, I would do anything for you, but you can't pull yourself away from work for one night for an important international game? You're selfish."

The words stung even more because they came from his mouth. "What?" You whispered taking a step away from him your eyes beginning to feel watery.

"You're selfish. You care more about your work than you do about me." You knew that deep down he didn't mean these things that he was saying to you, stepping away from him you pick up your bag and your car keys fighting the urge to let the tears stream down your cheeks.

"I'm going to let you cool down." You tell him in a level voice trying your best not to let your distress show too much. "Call me when you've calmed down a little bit." You say before turning around to look at his face one more time, he just stares at you clearly thinking that it is a good idea for you to leave too. "I really am sorry, David."

In a low tone he tells you. "Just go." You know that for now it's the right thing, both of you need some time just to breathe and think before anymore hurtful words were thrown around the room.

With that you removed yourself from his house trying to reason that he was just saying those cruel things to you because he was mad at himself and his team for losing the game, but in reality the pain was fresh and this wound would take a little while to heal, you hoped that David knew that too.

You were very surprised hen an entire week crawled by with hardly any contact from David, it seemed that the occasional text to check how each other were was the only way that you two would speak now.

This was truly beginning to worry you now, terrible thoughts kept going through your mind wondering if this was going to be the end of your relationship. Of course you didn't want it to end, he had said something that had really hurt you, but you had hurt him in the same way by missing something important to him.

After work you took the elevator up to your apartment and waited patiently for the door to open, you were met with a shock when the doors finally swept open.

David was sat leaning against the wall clearing waiting for you to get home. "David?" You say stepping down the hall towards him, he rose to his feet the moment he heard your voice and just stared at you for a moment. You hadn't realised you had just missed being in his presence. "What are you doing here?"

"I couldn't stay away any longer." He told you before taking a step closer to you and placing both of his hands on your upper arms before looking directly into your eyes and saying. "What I said the other night, it's been playing on my mind. I'm so sorry about what I said. You're not selfish, you never could be."

You try to speak. "David-"

"No, please, let me speak." He says before taking a breath and continuing. "I was only upset and angry because we had a bad game, but that was no excuse to take it out on you. I've been so ashamed for days. You're the most caring and compassionate girlfriend I've ever had. I'm sorry."

You could feel tears filling your eyes once again before you tell him. "I'm sorry, too." He gives you a sad smile. "I said I would be there and I broke my promise. You had every right be angry with me. I promise that I will never miss one of your games again. Work is not as important as you are to me." You tell him.

Without hesitation he sweeps you romantically into a passionate kiss leaning you back against the wall before pulling away, gazing deeply into your eyes and telling you in a caring tone. "I love you so much, meu amor."

"I love you too." You giggle before wrapping your arms around his throat and giving him another heated kiss, clearly the two of you had a lot to catch up on.