Chapter 13 : Breaking A Layer

Start from the beginning

I laughed a bit more. All my sad mood vanished and that's when I decided something.

"Hey, come on, let's wash our faces and freshen up. I have something I want to do today. She wiped her tears too.

I didn't know that she had cried with me. That just made my decision even stronger. I was going to start forgetting the incident from today itself.

I quickly led her too the washroom and we freshened up in twenty minutes. She quietly studied my every move but complied with whatever I made her do.

I led her down and made her sit in the living room. She stared at me confused as to what I was doing. I just winked at her and gave her a huge smile.

The doorbell rang and I ran towards the door.

"Hey, I brought your choco-," he began, but I cut him off with a hug.

I could sense his confusion but he returned the hug.

"And here I thought you were going to murder me," he sighed dramatically.

I chuckled and let go of him.

"What was that for?" he asked.

I just pulled him by his hand and took him to the living room. He had a confused expression on his face. His confusion increased upon seeing Sam sitting there with an equally puzzled expression.

I made him sit beside Sam and quickly ran upstairs before they could question my sanity. I was determined to do something today.

I went into my room and spotted my guitar. I went and grabbed it. A sense of panic washed over me and I quickly left it.

'I can't do it' i thought.

'You can do it and you will' a voice spoke inside my head.

'But what if I make a fool of myself?'

'They're your best friends. They won't do anything to degrade you.'

"I can do this. I can do this."

I grabbed my guitar again.

'This is it' I thought.

I took a deep breath and made my way to the stairs. I slowly descended the staircase and reached the door of the living room.

'I can't do it'

I felt myself losing control over my thoughts. What was I thinking? I couldn't get over my fear in just one day! It was irrational and stupid.

I turned around to keep my guitar back when something on the wall caught my eye. It was a my dad's Nike bag. But what caught my eye were the three words: Just Do It.

I took a deep breath. Do it.

I turned back and faced the living room door. I entered the room and stood near the door. Both Sam and Candy had their backs facing me. They hadn't noticed me yet.

'Good' I thought. This way I could imagine that no one was there.

I took another deep breath and slowly let it out. I closed my eyes and helf the guitar in place.

"Heart beats fast, colours and promises," I began. I can do it. I will do it. I can't back out now.

"How to be brave, how can I love,

when I'm afraid to fall,

Watching you stand alone,

All of my doubt,

Suddenly goes away somehow.

One step closer."

I got lost in the melody of the song. I let myself get carried away by the tune. It had been so long since I let myself out completely. So long since I let my singing echo in the walls of my house.

And now, there was no stopping me.

"I have died everyday waiting for you,

Darling don't be afraid, I have loved you,

For a thousand years, I'll love you for a thousand more."

I continued singing.

Time stand still,

Beauty in all she is,

I will be brave,

I will not let it take away,

standing in front of me,

Every breath, every hour has come to daze"

I sang, letting my voice roam the corners of the room. I let my spirit free. I'd never felt so good in a long time.

I sang the chorus once more before stopping. There was utter silence in the room, as if there was only me.

I took in a deep breath and slowly opened my eyes.

I saw Candy and Sam gaping at me with awe-stuck expressions. They had changed their sitting positions in order to have a better look at me.

I started squirming under their gazes which never wavered.

I cleared my throat which made them snap out of their daze. They blinked a few times before realizing the situation.

If I wasn't anxious, I would've laughed at their comical expressions.

"Uh--," I began, not knowing what to say.

What could I say? I had just sung a song, something which no one had heard me do in eight long years.

"Do you have ANY IDEA HOW FREAKING AWESOME THAT WAS?" Candy yelled.

"Are you hiding a recorder somewhere?" Sam asked, still dazed.

I felt my cheeks go red. I hadn't received a compliment for my singing since ages.

"What made you change your decision about singing? I mean I begged you to sing for three continuous years and you didn't budge," Aaron exclaimed, his eyes wide.

"N-No. I-uh-don't know why-uh-I just felt like it" I answered.

"Well, you should 'feel like it' more often, 'cause that was amazing."

"S-Shut up. You've heard me sing before," I replied.

"Yeah. Like eight years ago. Do you realize how much your voice has changed since then?" he countered

"Woah, honestly, now you're my new favorite singer. I mean you sing better than any of those auto-tuned freaks. You should really sing more often," Sam complimented.

Maybe singing in front of my best friends was a great decision after all.

But I still think that I can't sing in front of anyone else.

*********

Hey Guys....

Song on the side---->

Hope you enjoyed.

Vote

Comment

Share

<3