12: I'm Fine

By the time we reached the house, Tae had to practically carry me inside. The pain in my head was so bad, I couldn't see and my stomach was ready to give up its hold on all the food and drink I'd had in the last twenty-four hours.

Tae took me to Jungkook's room and laid me on the bed, looking down at me with worry. "Are you allergic to anything?"

"Not that I know of," I answered through gritted teeth as I rolled back and forth, clutching my head.

"Okay, I'll be right back."

True to his word, he was back within minutes, carrying a glass of water and two small pills. He sat down on the bed carefully and handed everything to me.

"What is this?"

"Something for the pain and something to help you sleep. I'm giving you a low dose for now because you're so small and we don't know how you'll tolerate it, but I'll be here to monitor everything."

I chuckled despite the pain and tossed the pills into my throat, rinsing them down with the water. "What are you, a doctor?"

"No, but we've been in this life long enough that I've picked up a few things," he said, running his hand soothingly through my hair.

"Could I have a wet washcloth as hot as you can get it? That's helped in the past."

"Of course." He disappeared for a moment and came back with a washcloth so hot it was steaming as he switched it from one hand to the other to keep from burning himself. He waved it in the air a few times before putting it on my forehead. I moaned a little at the feeling, relaxing into the pillows. Before long, the medicine started to work and I felt myself letting go.

"Tae?"

"Hmm?"

"Thank you."

"Of course, little lamb."

"Why are you being so nice to me?" My voice was faint. Weak with the medicine.

"Because you're ours," he whispered, his long fingers still trailing through my hair. As my eyes drifted closed, I felt him shift on the bed, then felt his lips on my forehead. I smiled for just a second before I was gone.

***

When I woke up, it was still dark outside. A body was next to me, snoring softly. I rolled over, expecting Tae, but it was Jungkook. I pulled back, shocked. A lazy smile spread across his lips.

"Why are you awake," he whispered gruffly. "The stuff Tae gave you should've knocked you out for a day, at least." He opened his arms and I scooted into them, resting my head on his chest.

"My body burns stuff off pretty fast. High metabolism, I guess."

"How are you feeling?"

"Better, just tired."

"Then sleep."

"Okay." I curled up against Jungkook and let his steady breathing and strong heartbeat lull me back to sleep. I'd spent the first few nights in that bed dead to the world, but in Jungkook's arms, my sleep was peaceful. His presence was oddly soothing. As if having a trained killer sleep next to me was exactly what I'd been needing in my life. Of course, it would have been different if I'd remembered the part where he'd said he slept naked.

***

When morning finally broke and I rolled across the bed, I realized I was once again alone. My hands slid across the sheets but didn't land on a body. I opened my eyes and propped up on my elbows with a pout. A set of clothes waited for me on the end of the bed so I sighed and took them to the bathroom to change.