03 || Learning

It took around an hour and thirty minutes to fully explain everything. In that time, everyone learned that the girl's name was Taylor and she lived somewhere far from the camp. Ratchet was put in charge of watching her since he was the one who brought her back while Optimus discussed a few things with Ultra Magnus.

The old medic was busy drying out some herbs that were still a little damp when he noticed that Taylor was watching him intently. "Yes?" He asked, turning his head slightly to look at the silver-haired girl.

Taylor jumped a little in surprise, obviously not expecting Ratchet to notice her watching him work. "Oh! Um.... I'm hungry... do you have any food?"

Ratchet felt a little dumb. He should've known that humans needed daily amounts of food like he did! Well... maybe not really that much food, but still! He sighed and rose to his paws, stretching out his back before turning to face her.

"The only food we have is freshkill and last time I checked, humans aren't able to consume raw meat. I can show you where to find some edible plants, though, if you would like that." He replied.

"Yeah, sure! Let's go!" Taylor exclaimed, hopping up from her seated position and brushing some moss scraps off of her jeans. She looked up at Ratchet and stifled a giggle, nervously chewing on her lip.
"Can I—"

"No." Ratchet answered before Taylor could even finish her question, already padding out of the den and heading into the forest.

Taylor stood there for a second before running after the orange and white dragon, already out of breath by the time she reached him.

"How'd you already know what I was gonna ask?" She questioned, trying to catch her breath while also keeping up with Ratchet's long strides.

"Experience." Was the medic's simple reply.

*
*
*

On their little expedition, Ratchet showed Taylor all of the plants she could eat and all of the plants she couldn't eat. She had found a blackberry bush and was currently gorging herself on the sweet berries while Ratchet kept watch.

Around a few minutes later, Ratchet noticeably stiffened and his head shot up from its lowered position. His eyes were widened and narrowed down to pinpricks as they quickly scanned the area.

Taylor noticed that Ratchet was on edge and finished chewing a berry, wiping the juices from her mouth with her sleeve. "What's wrong? You look like you've just seen a ghost."

"Quiet." Ratchet hissed softly, getting to his paws and listening more intently.

There.

The subtle crunching of leaves was getting closer and closer, but he couldn't pinpoint exactly where it was coming from. A few more minutes passed before the source of the noise showed itself.

A deer.

The medic relaxed when he saw the copper-pelted animal bound off at the sight of him, letting his shoulders sag. He had gotten all worked up over a deer. But just as he went to sit back down, the real threat took advantage and lunged out of the bushes.

Taylor whipped around and stared in horror as the two giant beasts wrestled with each other on the ground. The other dragon was a bit smaller and more spindly than Ratchet, but that didn't mean they weren't strong. They had claws that looked to be about seven inches long!

Ratchet snarled, trying to throw the attacker off of his back so he could pin them and get a good look at who they were. He hissed in pain when he felt claws digging into his shoulder blades and threw himself against a log, smashing the other dragon between himself and the log's surface. When he felt the attacker fall off, he immediately pinned them down with his front paws and held them tightly.

"Starscream... I should've known a dirty rat like you would be slinking around this part of the forest." He spat, baring his fangs at the Decepticon.

Starscream only cackled, a wide grin on his face as he looked up at Ratchet. "You're out of your league here, Ratchet. An old medic like you should be stuck in that den healing up the real warriors."

"He is a real warrior!"

Both Ratchet and Starscream froze at the sudden voice. All eyes were immediately on Taylor as she realized her mistake and shrunk back in fear.

"Who's your friend? Are the Autobots going soft and making friends with the humans too? Hahaha!" Starscream laughed, only to be cut off by Ratchet pressing his paw against his throat.

"What does he mean, Ratchet?" Taylor asked, though Ratchet's intense gaze told her not to question it.

"Taylor, go find a safe place to hide. Now." Ratchet huffed, watching the girl scramble off and duck into a hollow log before returning his attention to Starscream. "As for you, tell me the real reason why you're out here."

"Over my dead body...!" Starscream snarled, slashing at Ratchet's underbelly with his claws. He managed to wriggle out from under the medic and took off into the woods.

Ratchet growled and felt the warmth of blood on his underbelly. He had to get back to camp and treat this before the scent of blood attracted more Decepticons.