35 || Grudge

Once Cliffjumper was well enough to move, the unlikely trio began following the stranger's scent into the thicket. It twisted through hollows and slipped under fallen trees large enough to fatally crush a dragon. Ratchet had some difficulty maneuvering through the tighter spots due to his injury, but managed to get through after making a few adjustments.

Finally, the stranger's scent began to pool in the hollow they had just entered. To Ratchet's right, there was a hole in the ground where something had dug out a den under the root system of an oak tree. He assumed that was the female's den and kept moving in search of the one she'd spoken of earlier. It didn't take him long to find it, as it was rather obviously marked by a corbeled arch of stones that lined the entrance.

"This is the place, huh?" Cliffjumper thought aloud as he took a look around. A good night's rest had replenished his energy levels, but he'd need more than that to start the healing process. "Kinda reminds me of home."

"Don't get too comfortable. You're only staying here until the two of you are fit enough to survive the forest." The female dragon suddenly spoke, making them both jump as they turned around to face her. She had the remains of a deer carcass laying at her paws.

Ratchet scowled at the sight of the meager meal, but tried not to let his displeasure seep into his tone. "Yes, we are... well aware of that." He mumbled, ignoring the look Taylor gave him once she'd gotten off his back. "I need to search for herbs as soon as possible in order to treat our wounds."

"You won't have to go far." The female said, nudging the carcass towards them with her paw. "There's an abandoned human-place a mile or so east from here. Trying poking around there, you're bound to find something useful."

"I think I've had my fill of human-places, thank you." Ratchet retorted with a huff. He refused to go to a place where humans had once lived, especially after the ordeal they had just been through. He may be desperate, but not desperate enough to put Taylor and Cliffjumper in danger yet again.

Taylor could almost sense the conflict in him. She knew how badly he wanted to help, but his fear of nearly everything human inhibited his ability to do so. Understanding the fear was one thing, tackling it head on was another.

"Ratchet, can I talk to you?" She asked gently, her expression taut with concern as she gazed up at him.

The medic in question turned his head to meet her gaze and noted the worry her eyes held. He sighed softly, then shuffled a few paces away so their conversation would be more private.

Meanwhile, Cliffjumper hungrily tore at the whatever meat was left on the bones of the carcass.

"Listen. I know what you're thinking, but it's too dangerous. I can't leave you two alone with a rogue. She can't be trusted." Ratchet murmured, his gaze serious yet soft as it studied her small frame. He lowered his head so that he was more on her level. "I'm your guardian, Taylor, and Cliffjumper's medic. I need to do what's best for both of you."

"How can you do that if you don't consider every option?" Taylor questioned softly. "Sure, she's a rogue, but maybe she's right. She knows the land better than we do. We might have better luck taking her advice instead of searching the entire forest. Tough times often mean tough decisions. You taught me that, remember?"

Ratchet sighed again, though it was more out of exhaustion than anything. The past few days had been rough. It was just one thing after another, and now he faced yet another decision that could mean life or death. How did Optimus make such a daunting task seem so effortless? While the Prime had taught him many things despite being younger, making hard decisions was something he needed to learn through trial and error, and he'd already experienced his fair share of errors that had cost him dearly.