38 || Reconcile

Ratchet wasn't expecting Taylor to approach him first—not after what he did. He'd been gathering the courage to apologize for his actions when she sat against his side, a heavy sigh escaping her as she did so. He laid there for a moment, contemplating his next move, then closed his eyes.

"I'm sorry I reacted like that." Taylor was the first to shatter the tense silence.

Ratchet opened his eyes and stared off into the distance. "I should be the one apologizing, not you. Your reaction was warranted." He murmured.

"I thought it was a little dramatic." She insisted.

"Listen." He turned his head to look at her with one eye. "I raised my voice at you—something I've never done before. Understandably, it upset you. I'm sorry for letting my temper slip. It was never my intention to snap like that, I just..."

"I know." She said. "It was the stress talking. I let my stress get the best of me too, but that's okay. We're working it out."

Ratchet eyed her for a moment, then averted his gaze and released a white puff of air from his nostrils, obviously unconvinced. Guilt continued to gnaw away at him despite the relief her words brought.

Taylor sighed. It hurt her heart to see him like this. She placed her hand on the lower part of his shoulder and rubbed a few circles across his scales, hoping to ease the tension in his muscles. A small smile tugged on the corner of her lips when she felt him relax.

The intimate moment was unfortunately brief. Worrisome thoughts filtered back into her mind, many of them centered around Huntress. Something about the rogue made her uneasy—especially those comments she received before coming here. She promised herself that she wouldn't let them get to her, but that was easier said than done.

"Ratchet?" Taylor spoke after a while.

"Mm?" Ratchet hummed.

She anxiously fidgeted with her undershirt. "Can I tell you something? It's... kinda important."

"Of course. What is it?"

A sudden chill crawled down Taylor's spine. She felt as if she was being watched, and not by Ratchet. It was entirely possible that Huntress could be hiding nearby, secretly eavesdropping on their conversation.

What was she thinking? Huntress was just a rogue, she shouldn't care about her! The only opinions that mattered were Ratchet's and Cliffjumper's—as well as the other Autobots who were not present.

"When I was heading off to find you, Huntress... said some things to me." Taylor murmured.

Ratchet's pale blue gaze became serious. "What kind of things?" He asked.

"Well..." Taylor hesitated, that lingering fear briefly washing over her. "It seemed like she was trying to convince me that you don't want me around. I-I know that isn't the case." She couldn't keep her voice from quivering as she looked up at Ratchet. "You.. do want me around, right?"

The old medic's eyes softened instantly.

"Of course I want you around." He gently reassured as he lifted his head and moved it in front of her. "Why in Primus's name would I dedicate so much of my time to you if I didn't enjoy your presence?"

Taylor looked away and smiled bashfully, mindlessly twirling a strand of her silver hair around her finger. When she didn't say anything to counter him, Ratchet continued.

"You've grown into something more than a mere companion. You're..." Ratchet paused to gather himself, not used to expressing such deep emotion. "You're my friend, Taylor, and I'm grateful that you've been able to put up with me for so long. Don't let someone like Huntress make you think otherwise."

His words touched Taylor so deeply that she couldn't find her voice. Her heart swelled with adoration for the medic—for her closest friend. She felt her eyes begin to burn with tears and thrust her arms around his snout, pressing her cheek against his nose.

Ratchet involuntarily stiffened, not expecting the act of affection. Then, he relaxed into her embrace and made a noise similar to a purr as he closed his eyes once more.

"Thank you..." Taylor whispered, tears rolling down her cheeks.

"Of course."

Optimus laid at the top of a ridge, his weary gaze scanning the now dormant forest. It had been several days since Ratchet and Taylor's disappearance and with no leads to follow, he began to fear the worst.

"All of the scent trails we found went cold days ago. We can only assume that they were taken beyond our territory into the unknown regions."

The Prime slowly exhaled upon hearing Arcee's somber report. He curled his tail closer to his body, ignoring the chill that sank deep into his bones.

Seemingly able to sense his sorrow, Arcee approached from behind and sat down beside his left flank, attempting to provide comfort.

"Ratchet survived the Great Winter. He'll turn up, and I'm sure Taylor won't be far behind." She reassured him, though it didn't seem to have much effect.

"It is not his ability to adapt and survive that worries me." Optimus softly rumbled. "No dragon has ever returned from the unknown regions. Alpha Trion himself once told me that even he knew nothing of what lived out there. That is no place for a human."

Arcee laid her paw over Optimus's, briefly studying the immense size difference. "I may not know many humans, but I do know that Taylor is one of the toughest ones I've ever seen. She's a fighter, just like Ratchet." She lifted her gaze, silently begging him to meet it. "We have to have faith in them."

Optimus eventually met her strong, azure gaze. A soft sigh escaped him as he nodded his head. "That is all we can do, I'm afraid."

Arcee offered a half-hearted smile. She hated feeling so helpless while knowing her friends were out there somewhere. Optimus was right, though.

All they could do was wait and hope.

"Both subjects have been lost along with the girl. All attempts to track them down have failed."

Silas's jaw clenched with barely contained rage. He slammed his good fist on the table, causing some of the medical instruments to clatter against the metal trays that held them. The medic that was working on him paused, then continued to tirelessly mend his wounds.

"I want them found." He demanded. "I don't care what lengths you have to go to. Get the job done."

"Sir, we don't have the supplies to endure the—"

Silas silenced him with a bullet between the eyes before he could finish. "Does anyone else want to be foolish?"

The guards stationed by the door stiffened and the medic worked faster despite his frazzled nerves.

"Good." Silas laid the pistol in his lap. "Make preparations to hunt them down. I want assembled teams out there searching for them in the next hour. Scour the entire goddamn forest if you have to."

One of the guards nodded. "Yes, sir."

***

Hey guys! Sorry for the long wait! I haven't really had much motivation to write lately, but I was in a dragon mood today so I updated this fic!

Hope you enjoyed the chapter!