30 || Deputy

Deputy William Fowler simply wanted to enjoy his donut and coffee on a nice Sunday morning, but fate always finds a way to interrupt. Just as he went to take his first bite, someone knocked on the window of his cruiser. Holding back a string of curses, he reluctantly put the window down.

"Oh, well if it isn't June Darby!" Fowler said, his sour mood immediately changing once he saw it was her. He put his arm up on the windowsill and smiled at her. "What can I do for you, Ms. Darby?"

"I can't find Jack or his friends! They've been missing since yesterday afternoon!" June exclaimed.

Fowler quirked a brow, then reached for his notepad. "Where did you last see them?" He asked while fetching a pen.

"They were right there in the backyard! Oh god, those dragons must have taken them into the forest!"

"Dragons?" He echoed in disbelief.

She vigorously nodded her head. "Yes! They just showed up out of nowhere!"

He put the notepad down and sighed. "June, there is no such thing as dragons. It's all a fairytale. The kids probably got curious and wandered into the woods. Jasper's a small town, they'll come back sooner or later." He said nonchalantly.

She grabbed his arm. "I know what I saw, Fowler." She asserted with a fierce frown. Then, worry overtook her expression once more. "Can you please just help me look for them? They couldn't have gone far."

He thought about refusing since she seemed crazy, but a little voice in the back of his mind told him to check it out just in case. So much for enjoying donuts and coffee.

"Alright, alright." Fowler waved his hand at her. "Hop in. I'll give you a ride back."

She clasped her hands together. "Thank you!" She hurried around the front of the cruiser and got into the passenger side.

Once she was strapped in, Fowler pulled away from the curb and headed down the road towards her house.

*
*
*

"Smokescreen, you need to widen your stance. Do you want to get knocked over by your opponent?"

Smokescreen rolled his eyes at Ultra Magnus. The commander was getting on his nerves. "No, but Bee's too small to knock me over!"

Bumblebee huffed and glanced away dejectedly.

"Don't let him get to you, Bee! You got this!" Raf cheered.

Ultra Magnus let out a long sigh. "While I admire your confidence, this kind of behavior will only result in death or injury if you aren't careful. I'm only trying to teach you the right way."

"Ugh, you sound like Ratchet!" Smokescreen scoffed. He zeroed in on Bumblebee again and rolled his shoulders. "C'mon, Bee. Come at me!"

"You got it, Bee!" Taylor exclaimed from the sidelines as she sat with Jack, Miko, and Raf.

Bumblebee took a moment to refocus. He met Smokescreen's gaze and crouched low to the ground, wiggling his haunches like a cat preparing to pounce. He waited for the exact moment Smokescreen stepped off his line and nimbly leapt to the side.