25 || Recovery

A gentle breeze blew through the open window, rustling the curtains on either side. The room itself was small and thus susceptible to abrupt temperature change. Fall was on its last legs, winter prowling just around the corner.

Taylor frowned and wrinkled her nose, feeling the cold breeze nipping at her face. She opened her eyes with a soft groan, having to squint because of the amount of light filtering into the room. There was dull, throbbing ache that resonated throughout her head, but it wasn't too painful. Images of the incident flashed through her brain, making her wince. She could only remember the moments just before she blacked out.

What happened?

As she came to her senses, she realized that she was laying in a bed. The sheets had been neatly pulled over her and an extra blanket was laid on top. Panic swelled in her chest as she looked around. Nothing seemed familiar. She quickly sat upright in the bed, though she immediately regretted it as it made her head pound in protest. She tried to calm herself, her eyes darting all around the room.

"Ratchet..?" She tried to speak, though it came out as more of a croak. Her throat was dry, making it hurt to speak.

"Mom, I think she's awake!"

Taylor froze when she heard a voice. It had been so long since she had heard another human's voice that it terrified her. She went to crawl out of the bed, but only got as far as dangling her legs over the edge before someone came in the room.

"Woah, hey! You should.. uh... you should probably take it easy for a second." The boy said hurriedly, brushing a few strands of his raven-black hair out of his face. He offered an awkward smile as he approached. "It's okay, I won't hurt you. My name is Jack."

Taylor eyed him nervously, still unsure if he could be trusted. He seemed like he wanted to help. She let out a soft sigh and forced herself to relax, swallowing her fear.

"Sorry... my nerves are still a bit shot.." Taylor chuckled, running her fingers through her hair. "Um.. its nice to meet you, Jack. I'm Taylor." She pursed her lip and tried to suppress her worrisome thoughts about Ratchet. Hopefully he was alright, wherever he was. "Can you... maybe tell me how I got here?"

Jack blinked, as if he was just now realizing she had no clue how she had gotten here. "Oh, right!" He exclaimed. "You were brought here by some... um.."

"Dragons?" She finished the sentence for him, her eyes lighting up with excitement despite how tired she was.

"Y-Yes, actually! How did you know?" Jack asked, tilting his head curiously.

"They're my friends!" Taylor exclaimed happily. She leaned forward a bit, trying to look out the window to see if she could spot them. "Where are they?" She frowned, returning her gaze to Jack. "They didn't leave, did they?"

Jack seemed a bit confused by her change in behavior. She was a strange one, that's for sure. "No, they're outside with my mom." He jumped a bit when Taylor suddenly stood from the bed and began making her way towards the door. "Hey, wait! How in the world are you friends with dragons??"

Taylor hobbled out onto the back porch, following the sound of voices. As she clambered down the steps, she spotted Optimus and Ratchet lounging in the grass. A big smile crept across her face as she tried to contain her excitement. "Ratchet! Optimus!"

Ratchet's head immediately perked up upon hearing his name. He spotted Taylor soon after and leapt to his paws.

"Taylor!" He cried, rushing over to her. He pressed his head against her chest and let out a relieved chuckle. "Thank Primus you're alright. You had me worried!"

Taylor giggled and brushed her hands over Ratchet's scales as if she were petting a cat. "Sorry... I didn't scare you too badly, did I?" She asked, smiling gently.

Ratchet let out a soft huff. If he told her how worried he had actually been, she would certainly make fun of him for it. "Bad enough." He muttered, closing his eyes for a moment.

"So how do you two know each other?"

Ratchet suddenly became aware of how he was acting when he heard June's voice and pulled away in embarrassment. He awkwardly cleared his throat and gave Optimus a look.

Optimus got the memo and nodded, turning his head towards June. "He discovered her in the forest by herself. With the threat of the Decepticons still present, he decided it would be best to take her in."

June nodded, though she was still trying to wrap her head around all of this. "Let me guess, more talking dragons?"

"Yes. The Decepticons are far more vicious and cruel." Ratchet chimed in, having regained his bearings. "They despise humans and wish to destroy them."

"Does that mean they'll come after us?" Jack questioned, his expression taut with worry.

Optimus sighed. "That we do not know. The Decepticons have been trying to reach the human-place for quite some time."

"They were using Taylor to lead them there before we intervened." Ratchet stated, shaking his head and scowling. "Which is how she received her injuries."

Jack only seemed more confused as he listened to the two dragons talk. "Hang on, let me just get this straight... You and your..."

"Autobots." Optimus rumbled gently.

"Right, Autobots... You and your Autobots don't want to destroy us, but the Decepticons do? How come you guys don't just turn around and make us lunch too?"

Ratchet rolled his eyes, while Taylor snickered as she stood beside him. "Like I would even dream of consuming a human. Too stringy." He curled his lips in disgust. "We aren't savages."

"Anyways..." Taylor smiled, nudging Ratchet's leg with her elbow. "Do you guys have anything to eat? I'm kinda hungry." Just then, her stomach growled loudly and her cheeks flushed in embarrassment.

June chuckled and uncrossed her arms, putting one hand on her hip. "Of course, sweetie. You two stay out here and have fun, I'll go make some sandwiches." She said as she turned and headed back towards the house.

Jack glanced at Taylor and shrugged. This was certainly turning out to be a strange Saturday afternoon.