34 || Newcomer

Ratchet hadn't realized he'd dozed off until a frigid breeze startled him awake. He abruptly lifted his head, his blue gaze alert as he scanned his surroundings. Night had fallen, blanketing the forest in darkness. It was an eerie sight, no doubt, especially when you were stranded in the middle of nowhere.

Once he concluded that the coast was clear, the medic turned his head to check on his two companions. Taylor was still asleep. He could scarcely make out her tiny form against his flank. Cliffjumper appeared to be sleeping as well, though he could've been pronounced dead if Ratchet hadn't seen him breathe. Relief washed over him.

They were okay. For now, at least.

He then shifted his attention to his own well-being. The deep, teeth-like marks along his foreleg almost appeared frost-bitten, but at least he couldn't feel any pain. The cold must've numbed him to it. Infection was inevitable with an open wound like this, so he needed to treat it as soon as possible. Given their current situation, however, that wouldn't happen for a while.

The rustling of some bushes made his heart leap into his throat. He scanned his surroundings again, fear gripping him in its icy talons.

Maybe it was just the wind.

But what if it wasn't?

Ratchet knew he was exhausted. His aching body screamed at him to rest, but his mind refused to settle. He was walking the thin line between consciousness and unconsciousness, a state in which reality and the creations of his mind clashed. Was his mind playing tricks on him? Or did he truly hear those bushes rustling?

Several minutes passed, though it felt more like several hours. Ratchet had scanned the same patch of forest over twenty times with the same result.

Nothing.

He was overtired and overreacting.

Finally, his body forced him to succumb to exhaustion. He laid his head between his paws and allowed his eyes to close. Sleep took him swiftly, plunging him into a world where not even dreams could venture through his mind. His worries took up a majority of the space. They left no room for pleasant thoughts, only uncertainty.

*
*
*

The morning sun cast its rays of light across Taylor's face, gently stirring her from slumber. She yawned and stretched her arms above her head with a soft groan. As she opened her eyes, she was greeted by a beautiful sight.

Frost coated every inch of the forest, from the bare branches of the trees to the dormant grass beneath her feet. The sunlight shone down upon the frosted forest, causing it to sparkle and gleam as if it were made of diamonds. Although the air still held a bitter chill, the sun was warm and comforting.

Taylor's admiration soon changed to horror as her wandering gaze landed upon the figure of an unknown dragon, who was crouched among the thicket of bare bushes several yards away from where they had camped. She had never seen them before and the idea that they had probably been watching her sleep sent shivers down her spine. She remained absolutely still, only brave enough to steal a few glances before she squeezed her eyes shut out of fear.

Their appearance was strikingly similar to that of a Decepticon—which was worrying, to say the least—yet they did not seem to possess the aggressive nature that so commonly identified a dragon from that faction. They appeared to be cautious—curious, even, as they watched from a distance instead of killing Taylor and her Autobot companions in their sleep.

None of this made sense and frankly, Taylor wasn't taking any chances.

She opened her eyes again and pressed her back flat against Ratchet's flank. Cliffjumper shifted in his sleep, forcing her to brace herself with her legs so she didn't slip between the two of them. She checked once more to confirm that the unknown dragon hadn't moved before she nudged Ratchet with her elbow. When he didn't respond, she nudged him a little harder.