23 || Tragedy

Ratchet matched Optimus stride for stride, bounding effortlessly through the undergrowth like an enormous deer. Adrenaline flowed through his veins as his heart pounded. Not only was he intent on stopping the Decepticons before they reached the human-place, he was also determined to save Taylor from their grasp. If anything, he owed her a rescue.

"The scent is growing stronger." Optimus stated. He slowed to a trot, his tail lashing as he lifted his head to sniff the air. "It's Starscream."

"There are Vehicons with him as well. Their scents are all over this hollow. They can't be too far off now." Ratchet sniffed the air as well. His eyes narrowed, then widened when he picked up Taylor's scent. "We have to hurry."

Optimus nodded in agreement and took the lead, treading quietly on the fallen leaves despite his great size. The tricky part would be finding cover, as most shrubbery was beginning to discard their leaves in favor of bare branches. Hardly a place to hide a massive dragon such as himself.

Maybe he didn't have to.

Dead ahead, Starscream's grey scales stood out like a sore thumb against the brown forest.

"Starscream." Optimus released a guttural growl upon his approach, causing the nearby Vehicons to scatter in fear.

The dragon in question whirled around with a snarl. Taylor dangled helplessly from his jaws.

"Taylor!" Ratchet exclaimed upon the sight of the silver-haired girl. He dug his claws into the ground and growled at Starscream. "What have you done to her?"

Starscream opened his jaws and let her fall, sneering as she hit the ground. "Nothing permanent." He snagged her sweatshirt with his claws before she could run away. "I knew it wouldn't be long before her saviors came for her. How pathetic."

Optimus narrowed his eyes. "Let her go. Your quarrel is with us."

"Oh, but of course. She's already given me everything I need." Starscream smirked and curled his claws.

Ratchet's heart nearly leapt out of his chest. "Optimus!"

Optimus reacted quickly, springing upward right as Taylor was flung into the air. He caught her in his jaws and landed heavily on all four paws.

Once Optimus had saved Taylor, Ratchet sprang forward and tackled Starscream to the ground, his teeth mere inches from the seeker's face. "You'll pay for that." He seethed, a growl rumbling deep within his chest.

With his belly up, Starscream didn't have much confidence anymore. He cowered underneath Ratchet, his spindly limbs unable to do much with Ratchet's stockier body pinning him down.

"I-I knew one of you would save her! It wasn't my intention to harm her!" He shrieked when Ratchet pressed down harder on his chest. "Okay, okay! I admit that was a lie! I'm sorry!"

A snarl rose up Ratchet's throat. But before he could deal any real damage to Starscream, Optimus gestured for him to stop with his tail. Reluctantly, Ratchet obeyed and stepped off.

Optimus carefully placed Taylor at his paws and nudged her towards Ratchet. He watched them reunite, then turned his attention to Starscream. "In return for sparing your life, you shall come with us as our prisoner. There is no room for negotiation."

Starscream curled in on himself and chuckled, his tail flicking nervously behind him. "O-Of course... I'll do anything you want.."

Optimus huffed, not amused by Starscream playing coward. Something about his behavior seemed strange, but knowing Starscream, it wasn't hard to make him surrender when his own life was on the line.

"Good. We will discuss the terms of your capture when we—" He was cut off when Starscream suddenly lashed out and gouged his claws across his face. The Prime roared in pain, blood gushing from the sizzling wound as he stumbled backwards.

Ratchet had hardly taken a step to protect Taylor when Starscream swung around and smacked her with his tail. She flew through the air, crashing into a pile of leaves and twigs on the other side of the clearing.

"No!" He cried in alarm, completely forgetting about Starscream in the moment of terror. He sprinted across the clearing, his heart absolutely racing.

When he reached her, he could tell something was definitely wrong. Her eyes were closed and she wasn't moving. Fear gripped his heart in its iron fist as he nudged her with his snout.

"Taylor..?" He whimpered softly, checking for any sign of life.

Optimus padded over to the medic, his pained expression taut with worry. It hurt to see his oldest friend so upset and his newest friend in bad condition. The pain of his wounds hardly mattered anymore.

Ratchet looked at Optimus, tears pricking the corners of his eyes. "Do you think she's..." He trailed off, unable to finish the sentence without choking up.

Optimus sighed softly. "She's strong and has been through more than any other human." He pressed against Ratchet's side to comfort him. "It would be best if we take her to a doctor of her own kind. Perhaps they can help."

Ratchet inwardly cringed. He never felt so helpless. His medical expertise was useless here—he couldn't even help her! The thought of going into the human-place on purpose made him sick to his stomach, but he knew that's what needed to be done. They could help her more than he could.

After taking a moment to gather himself, he let out a long sigh and nodded. "Let's do it, then."

———

AHAHAHAHAHA

MORE ANGSTTTTT

I'm sorry 😅