31 || Project

June and Deputy Fowler only stayed till mid-afternoon before deciding it was time to head home. After smoothing things out with Optimus and making promises Ratchet hoped they would keep, they were sent on their way with Jack, Miko, and Rafael in tow. Arcee agreed to accompany them to ensure their safety.

It became evidently clear that everyone was relieved to no longer have so many humans roaming around the camp. Having one human to protect was enough. Six was nearly impossible. It was better that they returned to the safety of the human-place. Although, no one really knew if it would stay safe for much longer.

With their social batteries utterly drained, Ratchet and Taylor decided to take a quiet walk through the forest to see how the change of the seasons was affecting it.

Taylor could pick up on hints that winter was coming based on what Ratchet had told her. The most obvious signs were the trees shedding their leaves and the distinct chill in the air. Some of the more subtle signs included animals such as squirrels stocking up on nuts and the disappearance of certain bird species due to migration.

It was at this time that she realized this would be her first winter spent entirely outdoors, away from the warmth and safety of a house. While she didn't doubt Ratchet's capabilities as a survivalist, part of her was still nervous about what was to come.

Winters out there had the possibility to be harsh, but if the Autobots had been there for as long as they said, making it through the winter was more than just a possibility. It was almost guaranteed.

"Hey Ratchet." Taylor was the first to break the silence.

Ratchet turned his head to glance down at her with one blue eye. "Yes, Taylor?"

"What's the worst winter you've ever experienced?" She asked as she walked alongside him.

"I've experienced plenty over my lifetime." Ratchet began. He sifted through his vast memory for the moments that stuck out to him, which were in no short supply. "The worst one that I can remember took place when I was still a youngling."

"So... a very long time ago." Taylor snickered, poking fun at his age.

Ratchet snorted, a puff of white air bursting from his nostrils.

"Yes." He said while rolling his eyes. "My family group was trying to reach Iacon before the storms hit, but the weather pattern had been very unpredictable that year. We were caught unprepared and forced to take shelter. The snow fell so fast that by nightfall, the entrance to the den had been blocked. Every morning, someone would have to dig their way out in order to search for food."

"How many dragons were there?"

"Ten in total, including myself. Seven adults and three younglings."

"And you guys had to squeeze yourselves into that tiny den?" Taylor winced at the thought of how cramped it must've been. "How long did you have to stay there?"

"Days. Food was scarce. Huddling together was our only source of warmth." Ratchet continued with a sigh, as if he were reliving each moment again. "I thought I was going to die."

"You did?!"

"Yes, truly. I had caught a sickness and living on scraps wasn't helping either. Looking back on it with the knowledge I have now, my family thought they were helping me when they actually weren't. I could've died, but I didn't."