8: House of Cards

Start from the beginning

"Is there a VIP area?"

"Of course," he scoffed. "I'll show you the stairs for it when we get back down."

"Cool." I waited behind him as he stashed his cases under the covered bar then turned to grab mine. "This is a great spot, Jimin. Don't you guys make a lot of money running this place?"

He stood and looked around as the rain pattered on the rooftop around us. He leaned back and braced his hands behind him on the counter. "We make a pretty decent profit."

"Did you ever consider just running a legitimate business instead of all the other shit?"

He sighed heavily. "For a minute. But all the other stuff... we each have our own reasons for doing that. We're all chasing some kind of demons. And our demons are trained to kill. It didn't matter what we did. Our pasts would eventually catch up to us. This is just self preservation."

"Why do the club, then?"

"We've got to have some legitimate businesses to funnel the illicit money through to keep the cops off our backs."

"So this is your money laundering front."

Jimin smiled and looked down at his feet. "Yeah. So, you see, nothing we do is completely on the up-and-up."

Lightning struck somewhere in the distance and the thunder that followed made me squeal. Jimin jerked and looked at me with wide eyes and hands raised like he was about to fight me.

I busted out laughing, either from the sudden embarrassment or Jimin's reaction. "You okay?"

He grinned, but didn't relax much as he gave me a sidelong stare. "Yeah. I'm good. Are you? What the fuck was that?"

"Storms scare me. I got struck by lightning once. Not severely. It just ran through a puddle I happened to be sleeping near. Since then, I've been a little jumpy."

"I would be too," he said with a chuckle. "Let's get inside, then."

As soon as we walked inside, lightning struck again. This time it was closer. The lights flickered and then went out just as the door shut behind me.

"Shit!" I jumped when the door slammed and freaked out because I couldn't see a thing.

"Whoa! Hold still!" I felt Jimin's strong hands grab me and spin me around to the side wall, pinning me against it. "Don't move. The auxiliary system should cut on in a second. You don't want to fall down the stairs.

I did as he said as I tried to calm my heart down. "Okay. But I should warn you, I don't like the dark, either."

"Just focus on me, then," he said, pushing his body closer to mine. He slid his hand down to mine and brought it up to his chest. "Close your eyes and pretend that's why it's dark while you focus on my heartbeat."

"And what's that supposed to do?"

"Give you something to think about other than the storm and the darkness." I could hear the smile in his voice and smell the cinnamon on his breath. The longer we stayed there, the more I could feel the electricity of his body. His lips must've been centimeters away from mine. I thought if I just pouted, they'd touch and suddenly that was all I could think about doing. His heartbeat sped up just a fraction like he was thinking the same thing.

"Morgan?"

"Hmm?"

"Do you think it would help if we were a little closer?"

I licked my lips, feeling my own heart skip and stutter. "Um...maybe."

Jimin pressed his body hard against mine as our lips met. He hand released mine and moved to my waist. I wrapped my arms around his neck and tilted my face for a better angle. His lips parted mine and our tongues met in the middle. As his hands wrapped around my back, I opened my eyes out of instinct and realized the lights were back on.