"Yes."

His eyes narrowed a bit, but he didn't lose his smile. "Sir."

"Excuse me?"

"Yes. Sir. When I speak, you answer appropriately. Got it?"

"Yes." He tipped his head down as his nostrils flared. "Um...yes, sir."

He lifted his head, smiling wider. "Good. Now that that's out of the way. Tell me about your skills. About your powers. If you don't seem to know what level you are, you can at least tell me that, can't you?" He relaxed in his chair, crossing one leg over the other and throwing his arm across the back casually.

I clasped my hands in my lap to keep them from shaking. "Um...well...they aren't really that impressive. What I did to Namjoon is about the extent of it. I've been able to move some larger objects before, but never very far and I have to really concentrate."

The man rolled his eyes, dropping his head back. "Seriously," he growled. "We risked all this just to bring back a Tier I kinetic?" He sighed and lifted his head. "What's the biggest thing you've been able to move?"

I bit my lip as I thought. "I guess a transfer shuttle?"

"Wait, what?" I jerked my head around to see who had spoken. It was the older-looking guy with mint green hair and super squinty eyes like he was a narcoleptic about to pass out. I looked back at the leader as he leaned forward to brace his elbows on his knees. Now he was interested.

"Say that again."

"I moved a transfer shuttle once a couple months ago. It was in land dock for some repairs by the bay. I pushed it maybe a hundred feet. But it wore me out so bad I slept for a whole day afterward."

All the guys around me looked back and forth between themselves. Smiles crept up on their faces before the mint-haired one started laughing. "Honey, that's not Tier I," he said between breaths.

"Okay? So what am I?"

"Oh, that's a high Tier II, maybe III," a shorter blond said from the other couch. His smile was more mischievous than the others'. Almost child-like. "Those shuttles weigh, what, two thousand kilos?"

I didn't know if his question was rhetorical or not, so I kept my mouth shut. "And that's good?"

"For us, honey, that's great," Mint Guy said.

The leader leaned back in his chair, tenting his fingers in front of him. "Yes, this is good. There are only three levels of kinetics. If you can move something that heavy with your mind, you have to be pretty powerful. This partnership might work well for us after all."

"So this is a partnership?"

"Of course," Namjoon spoke up. "You're getting room and board. We're getting access to a powerful kinetic."

"So, I work for you now." It was more statement than question. My shoulders sank. I had no doubt these guys were mixed up in some bad shit and it was likely something I didn't want to get involved with, but at least I wouldn't be forced into prostitution or running drugs.

"Yes. And you're on the lowest rung of seniority, so you have to do what you're told or face punishment," Namjoon said with just a touch too much glee in his voice. Like he was hoping I'd fuck up soon so he could "punish" me.

"What kinds of punishments are we talking about, here?"

"That's to be determined based on the severity of the infraction," the leader said, cutting Namjoon off before he could speak.

"So what are you going to have me do?"

"Do you even know who we are," a guy to my left asked. He was handsome in a non-traditional way. He had the same dark brown hair and eyes as the leader, as well as impossibly high cheekbones and sharp jawline, but his face was longer and his nose more narrow. In fact, as I looked around, I realized that they were all quite attractive. I had been so scared up until that point that I hadn't really paid much attention, but each one on his own could have easily been a model. I shook my head.