The Ammo Shortage: Part Two

Shawn turned as much as he could, considering the car was flipped completely upside down, while he was on the floor underneath the wheel. He put his legs out to stand on the seat, crawling over to Lauren and checking to see if she was alright. From what he could tell, the bullet pierced her near her collarbone, thankfully nowhere near her heart. This person didn't want her to die, they just wanted to send a message.

"Laur, can you hear me?" He slapped her on the cheek gently, watching her eyes flutter slightly as she muttered something too incoherent for Shawn to understand.

"I'll take that as a yes," he said, grunting as he reached over to open her door, holding her so she wouldn't fall out since she was leaning against it for support. He slowly guided the both of them out onto the street, ripping open her blouse to see what the damage was.

"Okay, I'm gonna call someone and make sure you're okay until they get here, got it?" He asked, gripping her chin so she would look up at him. She squinted against the light, licking her lips and nodding weakly. He sighed, pulling off his jacket and letting her head rest on it. He used her discarded jacket to put pressure on the wound while he called for an ambulance, glancing around to check where they were so he could tell them.

While they were on their way, Shawn needed to make sure Lauren stayed coherent to be able to answer questions once the ambulance arrived. If she lost consciousness, she might not be able to regain it again, and Shawn couldn't even begin to imagine going forward without his long time friend and partner, or even replacing her.

"Okay, let's play a little remembrance game, yeah?" He asked, still holding onto her chin. Her eyes flickered, probably trying to focus on him, and she slapped his hand in response. His lips twitched in affection, nodding and trying to come up with a fond memory he could recall with Lauren to help keep her engaged.

"Oh my God, remember that case with the priest's daughter who was paying prostitutes to come to the church during service hours?"

Lauren chuckled lightly, coughing afterwards and squinting up at the sky.

"She eye-fucked me the entire time we were interviewing her." Lauren admitted, causing Shawn to snort as he shook his head in disappointment.

"Doesn't everyone?"

"True." She mumbled.

"I couldn't believe the priest was the one that was responsible for killing each prostitute. And the fact that he managed to keep it under wraps for so long. I swear, I had a feeling, as well as the feeling that the daughter was secretly in on it, but that kind of stuff really only happens in fantasies, I guess."

"As many times as I've been shot, you really think so?" Lauren jested, and Shawn shot her a glare.

"Not funny." He deadpanned, and Lauren waved her hand in dismissal.

"Oh, quiet, you. Just trying to make light of the situation. You were the one joking around the other day, anyway, when you said the next bullet that I'd take would do me in."

"I didn't think it would be this soon! Sure, maybe when you're close to retirement and wearing a bullet proof vest, but not when we're simply questioning a victim's family members at a fucking college!"

"I cannot believe the things they said about Karla," Lauren grumbled, placing her hand on her jacket to replace mine that had been previously putting pressure on her wound, "I never imagined her to be as crazy as they were describing. Definitely crazy in bed, but not in the head!"

"So, you get shot and suddenly you're rhyming? Fuck, those paramedics better hurry, I don't think you'll last much longer."

Lauren laughed quite hard at his comment, gasping afterwards as she choked more severely than the first time. Shawn put on a very concerned expression, resting his hands on his thighs as he watched his hurt friend. They sat in silence for a good ten minutes, then they heard sirens approaching.