The Ammo Shortage

"This morning's breaking news has the nation shocked with the recent death of Colson Baker, otherwise known as the popular gangster Machine Gun Kelly. Officials haven't recovered enough evidence to conclude who his killer was, but they have turned the case over to the FBI for further investigation. Also in today's news-"

The television screen went black and the room fell silent, two of the FBI's best detectives sitting in twin chairs in front of the chief's desk, the female of the two chewing on the eraser end of a pencil.

The chief eventually turned to look at the detectives, an unreadable expression on his face as he sunk down in his presidential chair and stooped his fingers under his chin, regarding the two with drawn, thick black eyebrows.

"How do you two comprehend this?" He asked carefully, sitting back in his chair and watching as Shawn Mendes, the male of the two detectives, stroked his dimpled chin in deep thought.

"Must have been someone close to him," Lauren Jauregui offered, freeing the pencil from her mouth and slamming it down on the edge of the desk, lifting her eyebrows in excitement. "This criminal was smart in covering their tracks, and they knew just what to do to make sure they stayed hidden when it came down to the search. No evidence, no leads because everyone wanted that dick dead, and no witnesses because they did it at a perfect time in the best location possible; his bed at 2 in the morning when the guards were off duty especially on a Saturday night when the bastard was too hungover to care if anyone stayed guarding his mansion."

The chief seemed to consider this, nodding his head as he looked out of his window in the corner of his office, the view displaying New York in all of its glory.

"I'm so God damned tired of these gangs. Too many people to keep up with and such a waste of time when one dies. Who even gave a shit about this dark fuck?"

"His family." Shawn answered, rubbing his index finger across his lips as he studied the profile of Colson Baker, reading about the two younger sisters the man has and about his rich mother and father who passed down only a quarter of their fortune, the rest going to the sisters for college funds.

"It was rumored that he was close to his little sisters," Shawn continued, pulling their pictures from the file and giving one to Lauren and the other to the chief, "they were his world. They got everything he could provide them. Every birthday was a valued holiday in his community. Every big wig he knew was there to support those girls, bought them presents and treated them to spa days or whatever they requested."

"Maybe they know who the killer was," Lauren offered, chewing on her pencil again as she looked back and forth from Shawn to the chief. "I mean, they know everyone, so if we were to get close to them, they might know who is the most likely to have killed him. A vendetta or a relationship tarnished by a faulty deal - who knows! Worth a try, right?"

The chief slid the picture of the sister he had back to Shawn, the agent swiping it up from the desk and clipping it back into the file, along with the other sister's picture that Lauren had. The older man at the desk considered Lauren's words, nodding his head in agreement.

"You're right, Jauregui. I want you two to go undercover and become friends with Baker's crowd, seduce them, threaten them - only if shit goes sour - but the main goal here is to get as much information as possible. Understood?"

Lauren sighed while Shawn smiled and shook the chief's hand, the two detectives accepting the case and leaving the office feeling accomplished. Well, leaving Shawn feeling accomplished.

"Why can't we get a real case, huh?" Lauren asked on their way back to their desks that sat side by side, picking up the box of donuts they had purchased earlier, grabbing a glazed one and stuffing half of the treat in her mouth. "I mean, I want to feel like I'm about to die in the line of duty, not playing in a drama where Al Pacino dies on a set of stairs."