My Husband And My Therapist

Camila Cabello looked around the room, noticing how comforting the person sitting across from her wanted it to feel. There were bookshelves that mirrored each other on each wall, filled to the brim with books about either psychology or regular genre books. A couch was between the two shelves, and paintings of calming landscapes covered most of the cream painted walls. The flooring was aged wood, likely original to the building, covered in deep scratches, but quite clean for its age. A large rug filled most of the space, also an antique, as it appeared aged in its design and care.

Camila adjusted herself in the small armchair, running her hands up and down her white business pants, sighing as she rolled her neck.

"So how do sessions usually go?" She asked, running a hand through her long dark hair. "Am I supposed to just spill my life out to you and you try to pick it up off the floor and make sense of it?"

The woman across from her, her new therapist, Lauren Jauregui, laughs as she lowers square glasses down her thin nose, just above a nose piercing that glinted in the sunlight streaming through the window directly behind her. A thick, well-trimmed eyebrow raised, almost in challenge.

"This session goes how you deem, Camila. If you wish me to listen to your troubles, I am your journal. If you seek guidance, I am your Yoda. If you want gratification... I am your provider."

"How very cryptic. Now you're making me wonder what it is I want."

Lauren smiled, removing her glasses and placing them upon the notebook sprawled in her lap, holding it as she crossed one leg over the other, her black business pants raising slightly to show off pale ankles.

"What brought you here in the first place?"

"Well... I think my marriage is failing." Camila admitted, surprising herself with the honesty in her response. She didn't think she'd end up giving up her reasoning so quickly, but there was something about those green eyes staring into her own brown eyes that told her it was safe to disclose anything from here on out. The comfort of the room, the kind, beautiful face across from her, the vibe floating among the air... it all urged her to give in.

"I see. And what makes you believe that?"

"Well... Shawn's never around. I miss him. I sit at home because I can work there on my laptop, and once I finish for the day, I'm essentially twiddling my thumbs until he steps through the door. But then it's, 'I'm sorry honey, I'm tired. Can we talk about it in the morning?' Then once it's morning, he uses the excuse of not wanting to run late for work. And I know he's not cheating because he's an awkward guy and barely even has friends. He's sweet, and I feel so comfortable around him, but I don't even get the chance to be in his presence anymore."

Lauren was nodding along, her glasses having been put back on as her pencil wiggled across the paper, graphite scratching into the material. When she finished writing, she looked back up, her face exhibiting understanding.

"You feel as if you don't fully have his attention, and you're craving that closeness again, correct?"

"Exactly!" Camila said, inching closer to the edge of her chair with excitement, "I try to tell my friends how great he is, and how we've had such a wonderful seven years of marriage, but I'm... missing something lately. I just... haven't been able to put it into words."

Lauren nodded once more, the pencil working its magic to make her thoughts physical. After she'd finished, she looked up again, sitting back in her chair as she drew in a deep breath.

"I want you to feel free to tell me if I have crossed a line, because I always want you to feel comfortable, but I want to explore this on a deeper level to try and fully understand. How are things looking sexually between the two of you?"