Vengeance, My Queen

An old tale is told to the younglings when tucked into bed at night. One that is truest of them all. A lie cannot be found in this story of heroic rescues and long journeys. Once, there was a Queen with eyes the color of a field of grass that is shined upon by the sun high in the sky, little speckles of brown to be found in some areas of those breathtaking eyes. Her name was Lauren; Queen of Levenburg. It was a smaller castle than the rest, her world beneath it all... underground, that is, the exit being a single river that leads to a death-drop waterfall spilling into a vast ocean. Her villagers enjoyed the quiet of the underground, mining for gold, diamonds, rubies and any other jewel they could find within the rich rock the city held.

But Lauren needed a Queen by her side. Someone who would rule with as much grace and strength that she had, so she pursed her lips and sent her guards out into the forest beyond her land for another castle that may hold her soon-to-be bride. Eventually they found one, a kingdom with not nearly as much respect as her own. They did indeed have a princess with them, a warrior that fought alongside the daring men who tried keeping Lauren's own men from entering their land. Her name was Dinah, a beautiful blonde with a sword as long as her legs. And by the God's, those legs let her stand at a taller height than the entire army that she fought with. Lauren thought that this woman was impressive, but she didn't have a wish to be wed to her. She only wanted her allegiance. An ally she definitely earned, for Dinah's one true wish was to escape her kingdom and set off on a perilous adventure. She didn't expect that journey to include finding a princess for her new Queen, but hey, it was all she had at the moment.

So once more, Lauren's men set out on their previous quest with a new partner, Dinah proving to be wonderful company when she filled the men in on her previous quests and joined them for drinks in pubs that they would stop at along the way. When they had wrapped around a set of mountains, they came across yet another kingdom. This one had a princess with skin the color of delicious dark chocolate, making all of the soldiers drool as they took in the sight of this gorgeous woman. Her lips were as red as the ruby that Lauren's villagers mined, and they just knew Lauren would be pleased with this beautiful woman. Her name was Normani, daughter of the Ice King who built his fortress out of the ice that shaped one of the tallest mountains in his land. He sat atop his throne wrapped in coarse wool, his brow furrowed when he learned the request of his daughter.

"You fools!" He bellowed with laughter as he flicked his wrist, summoning his guards with their large axes. "You think I'm going to give up my daughter without a fight?! Prove to me that your majesty's kingdom really deserves her presence!" And the battle unleashed, Dinah sneaking to Normani and escorting her away from the brutal violence. On the journey back to Lauren's castle, the two of them fell in love unintentionally. Normani loved that Dinah was so protective and prepared for the worst, a heart of gold within her muscular body. She would tell Normani all of her tales like she explained to the soldiers, but with Normani, these stories had a very confident tone that had Normani blushing profusely. Lauren wasn't mad at all. In fact, she prepared a three day wedding for the two, the villagers serving the best food and makeshift gifts that they could craft. The joyous event was the talk of the kingdom afterwards, everyone returning to their normal hustle and bustle with smiles on their faces. Once a few weeks had passed, Lauren noticed some of her guards come back in a smaller group, bruised and bloodied up from the battle they unfortunately lost in. Normani refused to return back to her home, not only because she loved Dinah and couldn't imagine life without her love, but also because that trip was simply too long for her liking. Having Dinah around the first time made it easier. Going with a bunch of soldiers the next time? Not worth it.

Lauren was growing frustrated with the fact that she could not find herself a Queen to rule by her side. She called her most trusted friend by her side, Duchess Allyson. Ally had grown up with Lauren, the smaller woman being her only friend in the whole kingdom. She was there for her when no one else was, especially when her parents died. The event caused her to immediately inherit the throne, but the task of being the only Queen with no other aid by her side became impossible to her. She needed someone that would ease the tension... someone who could help make decisions with her and attend the village festivals by her side.