Chapter Three. Part 1

It had been two days since her parents had dropped the bomb on her. Nervously looking at the fancy Ankara dress her mother had given her to wear, Nnadia decided against it. 

' Why must I make myself look pretty for any man. She thought to herself. 

' They are not worth the trouble.'

She had no one to understand her about this new problem. Her only friend who she had always relied upon for advice was ecstatic when she heard about the marriage alliance. 

Hajara herself was also getting married to someone her parents chose and she definitely had no problem with arranged marriages. 

' I can't do anything else than to accept it, but I will make sure he knows no peace until he gives me a divorce.' She promised herself. 

Not long from then she heard voices from the living room. Her heart immediately started racing. She went to her wardrobe to choose any common dress she wears at home deciding against wearing the outfit her mom got her for the occasion. 

A few minutes later her younger sister came in to call her saying she has been summoned by her dad. She hesitated to go until another few minutes when her sister came back. 

" Big sis, please come quick, my brother in law is here. "

' What the heck?' she thought. ' Brother in law already?' 

Collecting her thoughts quickly, she called out to her sister.

" Salma, please come here, " 

And when her sister came close enough. 

" Who told you that he is your brother in law? Is he my boyfriend?"

Scared, her sister replied nervously under her gaze. 

" He is your husband to be and he is so nice. He sent us all the beautiful things. "

' Wow! she thought so the loser thinks that he is going to fool her with gifts? Well, let me go see how ugly he looks or what kind of illness he has. He must definitely be older because I heard mom say he has acquired two Ph.D.'s. Or maybe he is handicapped. '

She rushed into the living room to be met with the firm gaze of her dad. She looked down immediately. Spotting three suitcases and large plastic bags.'

' This must be the things that her younger sister was talking about.' she thought to herself. But was brought back to the present when her mom's friend exclaimed. 

" Wow! " 

She heard a strange but rather sweet voice say 

" Masha Allah, Khadija, your daughter grew up into a beautiful woman. "

Now looking at the lovely woman in front of her and feeling ashamed of her lack of manners, she opened her mouth to greet only to get cut off by her mother. 

" Nnadia, says hello to your aunt. And this is her darling son Abdullah." 

Her mom went on to make introductions. "

" You already know why they are here."

Kneeling low enough, she curtsied. 

" Good afternoon, aunty, welcome back home. " 

But she was cut short when the older woman got up with a smile on her beautiful face to embrace her. 

" You don't need to kneel before me pretty, I'm going to be your new mom from now on and will spoil you even more than my friend here has. " 

" Then get ready also for her troubles, my dear" Her mom laughingly informed her friend. 

Smiling with his head still bowed and refusing to look at the man whose sweet cologne is hard to escape, due to the close proximity because he was sitting right next to his mom. She continued to stare down at her fingers while the elders chatted away about how nice the upcoming wedding will be. 

She was beyond bored and annoyed at the same time. Her dad started a conversation with him about his new projects, that was when she first heard his voice. It was a pure British accent. Sweet but manly. Just the kind of voice a notorious playboy would have. She thought. 

After what seemed like forever, her dad left the living room and her mom and aunt also went inside her parent's room to open the things that were sent to her mom. Before they left, her mom asked them to get to know each other. 

When they were finally out of sight, she still did her best not to look his way. 

She heard him shift from his chair and spoke directly to her. 

" Hi"

He said. 

Just one word and her heartbeat accelerated.