Chapter One. Part 2

With her face soaked in tears, she entered a taxi heading for Aberdeen where her aunt lives. She still couldn't believe he was the same person she was chatting with a few hours ago. Recalling his words made a fresh set of tears to start falling from her eyes. 

This was the guy who taught her everything about love. Her very first and only love. She should have known, after the way she has seen him flirting with girls on campus and social media. He really showed her all the red flags but she ignored them. After three years of dating, this is what she gets. To be ignored! 

Suddenly realizing that she was getting closer to her aunt's place, she wiped her tears hoping she would be able to escape before her aunt realized she was crying. Absent-mindedly, she alighted the taxi and forgot to pay the driver. He had to call after her for his money. Embarrassed, she apologized and paid him.

Quietly,  Nnadia entered the house hoping her aunt wouldn't see her, but unfortunately, her bad luck for the day still hadn't run out. Her little cousin spotted her immediately and shouted from joy. 

" yay, yay... Ice cream is here... "

Nnadia shut her eyes briefly because she knew what was coming next. All of her little cousins ran out to meet the ice cream, in other words, to meet her. 

" Nnadia is that you? " Her aunt asked anxiously. 

" Yes aunt, Salam. " Nnadia replied softly. 

" Alaikum Salam, you took so long dear?" Her aunt questioned. 

" Sorry, aunty, you know the traffic on the beach road. " Nnadia replied quickly. 

" Oh yes, I almost forgot. Especially during evenings like this. But why is your voice so low? " Her aunt enquired. Nnadia was blessed she couldn't see her face. 

" Nothing aunt, I need to take a shower, the ice cream is on the center table. "

With that, she ran into her cousin's room. Not waiting for any response from her dearest aunt. She sped into the room where she normally stays whenever she came to visit. Burying her face in the pillow, she started crying fervently. 

" Why Mike? Why? What did I do to deserve this?"

Just then her phone started ringing, her heart was beating faster than normal thinking he must be the one calling. Deciding not to pick it she reached for her phone to end the call only to find out it was her best friend hajara. So she picked. 

" Hello, " she said trying to sound normal, hoping her friend will not suspect anything. 

" Hello bestie, look I know what I'm about to tell you will hurt deeply but please believe me it's true. I'm friends with the minister of mine's daughter on FB and she just posted romantic pictures with guess who? Your boyfriend." Hajara said randomly. She was always warning Nnadia about Mike's proclivities. 

Deciding that there is no need to hide anything from her friend, Nnadia replied sadly. 

" I know. "

Her friend was surprised. 

" How? Did you see her post? " Hajara asked with surprise from the way she sounded. 

" I saw them myself. And he pretended not to see me." Nnadia said more quietly than she intended. 

"Wow! She even bought him an iPhone x. She made a post about it. That opportunist." Hajara said angrily. 

" Best please let's talk later. I need to be alone for now. " Nnadia told her in a sad, defeated tone. 

" Listen, sweetheart, if you want I can come to your place, you shouldn't be alone like this. I'm your best friend. " Hajara said fiercely. 

" Thanks but no dear, I'm not even at home but at aunt Fatima's place. " Nnadia replied heartbrokenly. 

" Ok, but let me know when you get home ok? I love you and please don't cry over that loser. " Hajara told her kindly. 

" I love you too. " Nnadia replied, almost choking from her own tears. 

She started sobbing loudly after ending the call. 'So this is why he ignored her? Because she was rich? But she always gave him anything that he or his family members ever asked for right? What else hasn't she done for him?' Her thoughts were all over the place and her mind went haywire. 

Nnadia remembered a post on Facebook that said when a man shows you he ain't shit the first time, believe him. 

How she wished she had left when she first caught him cheating on his phone about a year ago.

Right then she decided never again to allow someone like him ever in her life.  She was going to move on and bounce back from this heartache. 

" I promise." She told herself.