Chapter Eleven. Part Two

The following morning, Nnadia woke up late because she almost didn't get any sleep at night. She went into the bathroom to freshen up and rushed to the kitchen. It was Saturday, and it is her turn to cook every weekend. Nnadia met her mom busy arranging the groceries. 

" Good morning, mom." She said politely. 

" Good morning, my twin, how was your night, have you had your breakfast?" Her mom asked her lovingly. 

' So suddenly I'm your twin now huh? I guess this change has something to do with your favorite son in law.' Nnadia thought. 

" No, mom, I'm not hungry. Let me just start preparing lunch." Nnadia replied, smiling. It has been a while since they both had a nice conversation. She really missed her mom. 

Her mom went and stood near her. She started packing Nnadia's hair properly. Her hair was messy. 

" You don't have to cook today, Salimatu and I can do it. Just go finish packing your things and make yourself presentable before your husband gets here." Her mom said to her. 

Moving away from her mom, Nnadia replied. " Really mom, I thought that you've changed. So you want me out of your house right? Okay. I will rent a place for myself and leave, but I'll never allow anyone to force me into moving back in with Abdul Aziz."

" No my baby, don't get me wrong. I'm not asking you out of the house, I just thought that maybe after all that your husband had said yesterday, I just thought that you've forgiven him."

When she realized that Nnadia wasn't interested in her advice and was looking elsewhere, she went to her and continued. " Look, my girl, all successful marriages are based on forgiveness. So please think about it. It's not just about your husband, even your dad and I wronged you and we are sorry for not trusting you completely." 

Trying hard to avoid the topic. Nnadia interrupted her mom. " What would you like for me to cook today mom?" 

" How about we do it together, just like old times?" Her mom suggested anxiously. 

" Okay," Nnadia said, with a smile. She really cherished these moments with her mom. 

After preparing lunch, Nnadia was now setting the dining table, when she heard her mom and Abdullah exchanging pleasantries. 

" Is Nnadia home?" She heard him ask. 

" Yes my son, you came at the right time. Lunch is ready." Her mom informed him. 

" Oh no mom, I'm fine." He replied politely. 

" Too bad, your wife spent so much time preparing the food." Her mom said to him. 

Nnadia rolled her eyes at her mom's antics. 

" Really mom? Then I'll definitely eat." He said following his mom in law into the dining room. He smiled when he saw her. 

" Hi." He said sweetly. 

" What're you doing here? I told you before and I'm telling you again, I'm not going back home with you." She yelled at him. 

" Okay, I understand. But that doesn't mean that I can't come here and try my best to persuade you into changing your mind right?" He told her quietly. 

" You can't change my mind, so just leave." She told him harshly. 

" Nnadia ha, stop being so obstinate. Let me just leave the two of you alone." Her mom intervened and left. 

After her mom left, Nnadia stole a glance at him and he was busy staring at her. His eyes filled with love and longing. Nervous under his gaze, Nnadia asked him. 

" Why are you looking at me like that?"

" You're so beautiful, and I miss staring at you." He told her sweetly. 

" Whatever." She replied, rolling her eyes at him but inwardly, she was blushing hard. Happy that he still thinks she is beautiful. 

" Wifey I'm very hungry." He said to her. 

" So?" She asked him dismissively. 

" Won't you give me something to eat?" He requested, with pleading eyes. She knew what he was up to because she had heard his conversation with her mom. 

" No. Why don't you go eat wherever it is that you've been eating the past six months." She told him flatly. 

" Wow, such a harsh punishment just for me, I'm sure I'll starve to death soon." He said sadly. 

" Please do," Nnadia replied back. 

Things continued like that the entire weekend. Abdullah would come to apologize every day but Nnadia remained unmoved by his pleas. She stood by her decision to stay with her parents. 

On Monday morning, Nnadia woke up early, prayed and left for work. She got to her office and was about to arrange her things on the table of her small office when her boss entered her office. 

" Good morning my dear, I didn't see you on Friday and I was so worried. You didn't take my calls. Is everything fine?" She asked with concern. 

" Yes ma, I had a personal problem but everything is fine now," Nnadia replied. 

" Okay thank God, we've gotten a new volunteer, he is in my office and I want him to work with you since you're the only volunteer staff here." She informed Nnadia. 

" Okay, no problem," Nnadia replied, following the direction of the orphanage to her office. 

When they reached the office, Nnadia was stunned. Her husband was the new volunteer, Abdullah looked at her and smirked. 

" Nnadia, this is Mr. Sesay." Her boss told her. 

" Really Abdullah, my place of work?" Nnadia said, shaking her head in amusement. 

" What, is there any law that states I can't volunteer just because you work here?" He asked, smirking. 

" Wait, do you two know each other?" The director enquired. 

" Yes I know him, and please don't employ him," Nnadia replied. 

" Why? Nnadia you of all people know the condition of this orphanage. We need all the help we can get. And this one is coming for free." Her boss told her. 

" You don't understand, he is not doing it out of the goodness of his heart. He is just here to stalk me that's all." Nnadia explained. 

The woman looked between them and smiled. " I think you both would've made a lovely couple, but even though she doesn't like talking about it. The rings on her finger is indication enough that she is married. So if you are only here to stalk her then I can't accept you." She told him. 

Nnadia wanted to smile when Abdullah's words interrupted her. 

" So if I can prove that I'm the one that put those rings on her finger, am I free to work here?" He asked. 

Confused, the older woman averted her gaze to Nnadia. 

" Is he really your husband?" She asked. 

" Yes," Nnadia replied shyly. 

" And to show you that I'm not only here to pursue her, I'm going to donate a substantive amount to the orphanage." He brought out his checkbook and wrote a check of fifty thousand dollars and handed it to the woman. 

" Is this for real?" She asked. 

" Don't worry, I'm sure it doesn't make a difference to his bank account," Nnadia replied and walked out.