Chapter 9

After a long walk through the town, the guard we defeated, Raimi, took us in the palace.

Raimi:"Prince Chrom, please wait here while I summon the khan."

Chrom:"Of course."

She went away and I turned to Chrom.

Me:"How come the leader of this kingdom isn't here to receive an other royal?"

Chrom:"Well, the khans of Ferox prefer battle to politics. Or rather, battle IS politics. My guess is he's training."

I crossed my arms rolling the eyes.

Me:"Yeah, I noticed it after the mess at the gates. I just hope the ruler isn't so eager to fight, whoever he is..."

???:"Whoever 'he' is? What's with the sexism?"

The one who talked was, in fact, a woman.

She had a dark skin and dirty blonde hair, she wore a grey and red armor with a giant red shield covering the left arm.

At that sight, even Chrom was surprised.

Chrom:"You're the-!? Er; that is to say...the khan, I presume?"

???:"One of them, yes-the East-Khan. My name is Flavia. I apologise for the troubles at the border, Prince Chrom. You are welcome in Regna Ferox."

Chrom:"Thank you, but I'm confident we can put that misunderstanding behind us. Is it true bandits posing as Ylisseans have been ransacking your border villages?"

Flavia:"Yes. Those Plegian dogs! We found documents proving as much on the corpse of one of their captains. Plegia must see some benefit in raising tension between your kingdom and ours."

Chrom:"Damn them all!"

When he realised he shouted so suddendly, he tried to compose himself.

Chrom:"I...forgive me, Your Grace. That was...indelicately put."

Flavia:"Ha! Damn them and damn delicacy! Here in Ferox, we appreciate plain speech."

Me:"If that's so, you should do something with that annoying guard."

Chrom:"...Yes, I admit I'd also like to have a word with her."

Flavia:"...Ha ha! Now that's Feroxi diplomacy! Yes, I like you already. I know why you have come, Prince. But regrettably, I cannot provide any Feroxi troops for Ylisse."

Useless to say, that caught all of us by surprise.

Lissa:"What!? Why not!?"

Flavia:"I lack the authority."

Chrom:"Forgive me, but I don't uderstand. Aren't you the khan?"

Me:"Well, she said she's the East-Khan..."

Flavia:"Indeed. In Ferox, the khans of East and West hold a tournament every few years. The victor acquires total sovereignty over both kingdoms. And that means they have the final say when it comes to forging alliances. The West-Khan won the last tournament, and so..."

Chrom:"So we are to receive no aid at all?"

Me:"We can always try to ask the other khan."

Flavia:"There is a faster way. The next tournament is nigh, you see, and I am in need of champions."

Me:"Let me guess: if we win for you, you'll give us the help we ask?"

She looked at me impressed.

Flavia:"You understand fast, boy. I'm starting to like you even more."

Chrom:"I would have assumed Ylisseans had no place in such Feroxi traditions."