Chapter 16

When we returned to the palace, Emmeryn warned the people of the imminent war.

Everybody went to prepare themself as better as they could, until it was night.

I was about to go to sleep when I noticed Chrom in the garden outside.

Me:"Having problem to sleep?"

Chrom:"What? Oh,  hi Y/N. Just...duelling with some unpleasant thoughts..."

I crossed the arms looking away.

Me:"Yeah, I know what you mean..."

Chrom:"Tomorrow we march to Regna Ferox to request additional soldiers. But there's something you should know first....not everything Gangrel said was a lie."

Me:"What do you mean?"

Chrom:"The last exalt, my father, waged war on Plegia for many years. The violence...It was a brutal campaign, ending only with his death 15 years ago. Plegia rightfully remembers their suffering, but his war was no kinder to his own people."

He clenched his fists with anger while lookind down.

Chrom:"As the fighting dragged on, our army became more and more diminished. Farmers who could barely wield a pitchfork were conscripted and sent to their deaths. Soon there was no food at all, and the halidom began to collapse. I was young, but I remember those dark times...I know how they affected Emmeryn."

I sadly nodded.

Me:"Tragedies can change the soul of everybody."

Chrom:"Indeed. When our father died before her tenth year, he left her quite the legacy. Plegia's desire for vengeance...our own people's unbridled rage...my sister became a target for blame from all sides. Her own subjects began to hurl insults...and stones. She still bears the scar from one. But she never let them see her pain. Only Lissa and I understood."

Me:"She had to bear a fate bigger then her withouth her opinion. I know what it means."

Chrom:"I don't. I could never greet such hostility with warmth and patience. While our people mocked and vilified her, she reached out and healed them. She brought soldiers home to their families. She ended the war. And when Ylisse's spirit was mended and the people 'forgave' her? She never resented them for it. She represents the best of the halidom, the part most worth protecting. She IS peace."

Me:"True. Her soul is one of the purest I've ever seen. Unfortunately, similar people attract evil...in this case, King Gangrel. He made so many sins..."

Me:"...And I'll be death's angel. Emmeryn would never order him killed, nor would I wish her to."

Before I could say something, someone else spoke.

???:"Well spoken, sir."

We both turned to the voice. From the darkness, we saw Marth getting closer.

Chrom:"Marth..."

Me:"And here's the mistery man."

Ghost Rider:'Not like you're not one yourself.'

Marth:"Good evening to you."

Chrom:"How did you get in here?"

Marth:"That cleft in the castle wall, behind the maple grove."

Chrom:"There? But how would you...? Ugh."

Me:"Seriously? A cleft? Why don't you close it?"

Chrom:"It's only a small hole, and I'd thought it well concealed, but..."

Me:"If so, how did mr. mask here to find it?"

Marth:"Your secret is safe with me. I come here to warn you."

Chrom:"Warn us?"

Marth:"The exalt's life is in danger."

Chrom:"What, Emmeryn? That's absurd. She's guarded at all hours."

Me:"Hold on, Chrom."

I stared at Marth with my 'eyes', and there was no mistake. He was honest.

Me:"He's telling the truth."

Chrom:"Are you sure?"

Me:"Yes...although I'm not sure about how.

He looked hesitating.

Marth:"...What if...what if I tell you I have seen the future? Would you believe me? A future where Emmeryn is killed. Here. Tonight."

Now, if someone says he knows the future, you begin to think it's impossible, right?"

Chrom:"Seen the future? Have you lostyour wits?"

But, let's be honest, I've faced tons of weird things before that moment, so it wasn't so abnormal.

Me:"Well, after all the shit happened to me, I wouldn't be surprised."

Marth:"You..believe me?"

Me:"I've seen worse, so..."

But Chrom didn't seem to trust him yet.

Chrom:"Even so...I..."

Marth:"Allow me to prove it."

He grabbed his sword and pointed at Chrom. He was ready to grab his while I was in my stance.

Marth:"I'm going to save your life..."

Me:"Uh?"

Marth:"...from him."

From the bushes at her left, an assassin went full speed at Chrom.

I blocked his legs with my chains and Marth slashed him on his back.

Marth:"I trust this proof will suffice."

Chrom was still shocked from the event.

Chrom:"...Yeah."

However, it wasn't over.

Me:"Look out, Marth!"

A second assassin jumped from the tree against him.

He made a step back  and stumbled on the corpse. The sword of the assassin cut the mask in half and released the long hair.

After Chrom and I got rid of the assassin, we looked at Marth, who appeared to be a girl.

Me:"Well, now I've seen everything."

How wrong I was.

Chrom:"Wait, you're...a woman?"

Marth(?):"And quite an actress, too. Honestly, I'm surprised you didn't figure it out until just now."

Ghost Rider:'I did.'

Me:'Yes, sure, and why didn't you say something?'

Ghost Rider:'You didn't ask.'

Me:'Ok, now you're just-'

Suddenly, a small quake hit the castle.

Chrom:"What was that!?"

Me:"Let me guess, the danger you warned us about."

Mart(?):"Yes, and we're still here. Hurry, before it's to late!"

And we ran in the castle to Emmeyn's room.