Chapter Twenty-Eight | The World is Quiet for a While

The World is Quiet for a While

                          Noel woke in a cold sweat. Her dreams had been fuzzy and full of motion, swirling and piping hot – her entire body had felt as if it were on fire, the opposite of when Hades had spoken through her.

Out her window New York was still dead, snow piled up so high it was covering cars. This was not unusual for our Canadian hero, but for the New York natives it was practically as if the world had ended.

Pulling on her warmest socks and sweaters, Noel contemplated what to wear. She never usually thought about it, but being kissed had made her into such a…well, a girl.

Choosing a pullover knitted jumper the colour of wine her grandmother had made, remembering that Gabriel had commented on it once. Heading downstairs, she managed to find her way to the kitchen, were Constantine and Stephan were sitting at the table, gobbling down porridge.

“Hey!” Stephan said, oddly jolly. “You wearing your warmest socks?”

“Um…why?”

“We’re taking you sightseeing!” he cried. “You get to see New York through a residents eyes.”

“But the whole place is shut down because of the snow!”

“It’s best this way.” The smooth voice of Gabriel came from behind Noel, and she jumped, spinning around. Her nose hit his chest. “Morning sleepyhead.” He chuckled.

“Morning.” She blurted, feeling her cheeks burn.

He tugged on her side braid and brushed past her through the tall, slim doorway. Just touching him made Noel want to run out of the room.

“Um, where are we going?”

“Central Park.” Constantine told her. “It’s great when no ones around and it’s all snowy. Plus it’s a short walk from here.”

After eating they waited for Lola, who didn’t look at Noel, they headed out. Walking down the middle of the street they skidded and slid their way to the park, cheery even with the cloud of Hades threat over their heads.

Noel tried not t think about the kiss. She tried and tried and tried, but it kept on shoving its way into her thoughts. Gabriel Darcy had kissed her. Her.

“Hurry up, Mortal!” Lola shouted, running through the gates into the park.

Face pink partially from embarrassment and partially because of the cold, Noel followed quickly. Gabriel was silent, walking just in front of her. He’d barely looked at her all morning.

Constantine and the cousins decided to make a snowman, and set off to do so between the trees. And then Gabriel looked at her. “C’mon.”

To Noel’s astonishment, he grabbed her hand.

They darted off over a bridge, slipping up the slight incline. Stopping her there, Gabriel leaned over the railing. “Can I ask you a question?” he asked, still not looking at her.