Chapter Seventeen | I Cross the Veil

Dedicated to _Eternity_ cause she commented LOADS and I'm sick and too tired to articulate well. Sorry.

(also Wattpad's being silly and I can't seem to dedicate it the real way I don't even know anymore sorry sorry okay.)

And who can resist a little Tom Felton/Gabriel, eh? Yummy. --------->>

Chapter Seventeen

I Cross the Veil

            Noel had never really believed in magic. Not seriously, anyway; in bedtime stories and Disney movies, sure – but not in real life. So when they passed beneath a roughly made arch of wire and red silk she wasn’t expecting it to be suddenly as if she’d stepped into a Greek tragedy.

“This is so-”

“Cool?” interrupted Stephen, grinning “I know!”

“I was going to say weird, but yeah, cool.” She shrugged and took a closer look at what surrounded her; people dressed in a mixture of parkas and traditional Greek dress walked around, satyrs and what must have been wood nymphs weaving between.

They pulled to a stop, and as the others jumped out Gabriel turned to her and beamed “What do you think?”

“I’m terrified, to be honest.” She admitted “I’ve never met a…uh, are those Cyclops’s?”

Nodding, Gabriel squeezed her shoulder “Don’t be, they’re all really great people. In fact, that guy over there is named Herman; he’s pretty cool. And the girl beside him is Rita – she can play some wicked basketball!”

Giving him a scared look, Noel gripped the sides of her seat “I don’t think I can go out there, Gabriel…I mean – I’m a mortal!”

“You may have mortal parents,” he said “But it’s obvious you were meant to be part of our world. Now c’mon, I’ve got to go help Jen welcome everyone.”

He got out of the car, and Noel followed. This new world didn’t seem so bad, and as Gabriel stood on a makeshift stage with an older girl beside him, she thought maybe she could try and be a part of it.

            The crowd pulsed with energy, all moving in the direction of a simple Greek roofless pavilion. Gabriel guided her through the throngs of people, beaming at her – Noel had no idea what was making him so happy.

“I’ve just got to welcome everybody,” he said, glancing up at the small stage set up were a few other teens and young adults were gathered “It’ll only take a few minutes, and then we’ll have the feast.”

“What are you, a camp counsellor?” asked Noel, looking around at the fifty or so teenagers.

Laughing, Gabriel seemed to almost glow with happiness. Noel guessed he must have really missed his people, the ones who really knew him, who could relate on a different level. The demigod level.