Chapter Three | The Heartthrob Ruins My Dinner

Chapter Three

The Heartthrob Ruins My Dinner

            Morning sunlight prodded Noel’s eyes as she lay in bed, groaning as it occurred to her that it was not only morning, but that her favourite day of the week had been ruined.

The night before had consisted of Bernie and Mark informing their daughter that the Fosters would be coming over for supper, and that included Gabriel, much to Noel’s distaste.

“So first we make them biscuits, then have them over for supper?” she’d asked, stabbing her tofu chicken.

“Yes.” Bernie had said “And that includes being nice to them, so don’t you dare be rude young lady.”

“But what about my funny feeling!”

Mark had sighed and marked his book “You will have to put your ‘funny feelings’ aside, Noel Olive – remember to be kind, or I’ll take away your Harry Potter collectables.”

Grumbling over her fathers use of her whole (and embarrassing) name, her mother calling her ‘young lady’ and how she was being threatened into being kind, Noel went upstairs to watch Star Wars for the second time that week and hide her collectables.

She’d fallen asleep just as Luke’s ship crashed, and had the oddest dreams all night. She spent the whole day in her room, doing homework, reading fluffy fan fiction and avoiding looking out the window, through the remaining leaves of the oak tree and into Gabriel’s room. She’d seen him moving back and forth, probably still unpacking. There had been a brief period when she’d glanced out to see him lifting weights and reading Harlequin novels, a practically heart wrenching one from the look on his face.

This was a little too funny, and he’d almost caught her staring when she burst out laughing. He was too good at knowing when she was looking at him.

Noel was not pleased with her new neighbour, but from the several winks she received from across the yard, Gabriel had a very different opinion of the whole ordeal.

            Noel didn’t know how she would make it through dessert. Not only was she unable to enjoy her favourite strawberry Pavlova, but her parents were completely charmed by Gabriel, unlike herself. Plus, Gabriel had also eaten her tofu sausage, so Noel was stuck with two day old pasta salad. The moronic heartthrob had ruined her dinner.

Putting a whole forkful of whip cream in her mouth, Noel glared at her plate. She was made to sit beside him, and he smelled annoyingly pleasant – unlike other boys her age, he knew what personal hygiene was.

“Why don’t the kids to the dishes?” suggested Mrs. Foster “We can have a grownup chat in the living room.”

“Oh yes, I have some delicious gossip I heard from Mrs. Bates in the grocers today!” exclaimed Bernie, and the four adults trekked into the living room, leaving Gabriel and Noel to clear the table and do the dishes.

Gabriel tried several times to make conversation, much like in the car, but Noel replied with such cool and blunt answers that no further conversation could be made. As they were drying the dishes, the adult’s conversation drifted in from the living room, even though the doors were closed.

“…it’s devastating really,” Mrs. Foster was saying “My sister lost a long battle of cancer a few years ago, bone you see; she had several relapses, but it got the best of her when Gabe was twelve, almost thirteen.”

“How sad, I never knew Elizabeth had a son when you told me she had passed.” Bernie said, and there was the sound of wine being poured into a glass (or several).

“Helen and Elizabeth were very close,” Mr. Foster said “However Liz moved to the states very soon after Gabriel was born, wouldn’t tell us who his father was – all we know is that he’s a dangerous guy, not someone you want to mess with. In politics, possibly.”

Noel glanced over at Gabriel, and another feeling crept up on her as she looked into his angelic face; it had darkened, and they stood in silence as the adults went on. Noel felt awful thinking that if Gabriel’s dad really was in politics, then Ned and Corrie had probably bashed him at some point.

“We rarely saw them over the past seventeen years,” Mrs. Foster said softly “And when Lizzie got sick our mother moved out to live with them in New York. She stayed there when Lizzie died and looked after Gabriel, and now that Mum died…” silence fell, and Noel was too scared of what Gabriel might look like to sneak a glance.

“I’m sorry Helen.” Bernie said “I know this is a difficult time for you all.”

They moved on to other topics, leaving Noel and Gabriel in a very awkward situation.

“I’m sorry about your Mum, and your grandma.” Noel said quietly, fiddling with the tea towel.

Gabriel shrugged “its okay, she was pretty sick by the end. My Gran was just old.”

“Still,” glancing up, Noel saw that the shadow had passed over Gabriel’s face, and he once again looked charming and angelic. “I’m sorry I had to hear it like that, too.”

“You were bound to find out anyway.”

They looked at each other for a few moments, and Noel felt a bout of hiccups coming on “Do you want some ice cream?” she blurted, flushing.

He smiled “Sure.”

And so started the first time Noel was able to tolerate Gabriel for more than fifteen minutes without having a funny feeling, which may or may not have been because of the double chocolate peanut butter ice cream.

A/N: I know this ones shorter, but I already have almost fifteen chapters done, so it's not like I can change it.

Question: What do you think of Gabriel's past, and their ice cream bonding moment?

Please let me know!

Rose<3