Chapter Twenty-One | I have a Heart-to-Heart with Constantine

Chapter Twenty-One

I have a Heart-to-Heart with Constantine

            Noel had never really been one for dancing. Bernie had put her in ‘toddler’s tango’ once, but it hadn’t exactly been successful, and they had never been back since.

This however was most certainly not the tango.

Everyone was in one large throng, swinging their hips in ways Noel’s hips definitely could not. The makeshift pavilion was heated with warming lamps and fires surrounding it, benches set up for perfect smore making.

“C’mon Noel!” Stephan shouts, pulling her into the centre of the crowd, were she stood stiff as a board and wide-eyed. “Don’t just stand there,” he attempted to yell over the music “Dance!”

“I don’t know how!”

“Everyone knows how!”

“Have you seen me?”

“Yeah, you kicked butt in the comp today.”

Stephan and Noel turned to see a girl standing with her hands in her pockets; the swinging candles reflecting in the darkest eyes Noel had ever seen.

“I’m Sola, daughter of Hermes.” She said, sticking out her hand.

“Er, Noel.”

“Want to dance?” asked Sola, tossing a long mane of purple hair over her shoulder.

“Um, not really?”

Stephan laughed, “Don’t worry Sola, it’s not cause she’s not into you – Noel doesn’t like to dance.”

Into her?”

“Are you into girls?” asked Sola curiously.

“Oh.” The gears in Noel’s mind fell into place. “Oh. Sorry Sola, but I’m – ah –”

Chuckling, Sola waved her apologies away with a calloused hand “Its no problem, just thought I’d give it a shot.”

“Bye Sola!” Stephan called as she retreated back into the crowd.

Gabriel took her place, smiling down at Noel with those light eyes “Want to dance?”

“Okay.” She sad softly, just as Stephen shouted “She doesn’t dance!”

As Gabriel’s hands went around her waist she began to hiccup, and Noel knew her face was red for something besides the cold.

 “What’s wrong?” he asked as the music became a little more bearable and slow.

“Nothing,” hiccupped Noel “It’s just a lot to take in, that’s all. Um, reading any particularly erogenous harlequin romance novels lately?”