Chapter Eight | We Sit in the Dark

Chapter Eight

We Sit in the Dark

                  “How can you hate someone so gorgeous?”

“I don’t hate him; I just have a great dislike towards his general direction at all times.”

Corrie sighed as they stopped in front of their lockers, leaning up against hers and looking very dramatic “You are so prejudiced, Noel.”

“Of what?” she scoffed “Guys named Gabriel? Good looking and popular people?”

“Yes.” Ned said, not even looking up from the game of online chess he was playing “Well, not guys names Gabriel, but good looking and popular people. You’re very narrow-minded and think they’re all nitwits.”

“I never said that!”

Corrie huffed in annoyance “Yes you did, in ninth grade. You said –and I quote – ‘all these people who are good looking and popular are utter nitwits’ End quote.”

Flustered, Noel stared angrily into her locker. Yes she found the loud and obnoxious ‘good looking’ and ‘popular’ people rather nitwit-ish, but that’s not why she disliked Gabriel. He gave her a funny feeling, he was the boy in chains – something wasn’t right.

Oh, and he though he was the son of Hades.

That was biggie, the ultimate winner. He was nuts, cuckoo, off his rocker, lost his marbles.

“Oh wait a second.” Ned looked up from his game “He gives you a funny feeling, doesn’t he?”

“Yeah, he does actually.”

Corrie laughed and tugged on the end of her hair “Oh Noel, I thought you’d given up on those.”

“It’s not funny!” she cried, slamming her locker door. “They’re not just funny feelings – I know it sounds mad, but they’re real!”

“Sure Ellie.” Ned started another game.

“This is why I didn’t tell you.” She said, upset – to her utter embarrassment she felt tears threatening to spill over, and she walked swiftly to the bathroom “I’ll see you guys in the canteen.”

“Okay, and if anyone else gives you a funny feeling on the way over, let us know!” Corrie sniggered, and they walked off.

It was the last day of school, her friends were making fun of her and Noel’s sandwich was soggy. The day had started out bad by Noel once again putting her contacts in backwards; she’d slipped on the stairs and slammed her finger in the locker door.

“You okay?”

Noel hadn’t noticed, but Gabriel was reflected in the mirror. His smirk was cut off by a swipe of lipstick on the surface, but she knew it was him.