Chapter Fifteen | I Figure Out the Hierarchy

Chapter Fifteen

I Figure Out the Hierarchy

            When there are five people in a car containing enough weapons to defend a small forte, not enough beef jerky and only one radio, problems can arise. Noel found out pretty quickly what everyone’s position was in the group; it wasn’t hard to decipher, since they stuck to their roles like dedicated actors.

Gabriel was the leader. This Noel could have guessed anyway without seeing him in action; he was calm and cool, but if he ever lost it there was only one person who could calm him down and return everything to order.

This person was Constantine. If Gabriel seemed agitated or annoyed, lost his patience (which rarely happened) or was just too tired from driving, Constantine would take over. He was organized and not at all unhappy to step in, remember what they needed and who was especially sensitive to what. He was Gabriel’s right hand man, and Noel had been sure from the moment they met that he would do anything for Gabriel. On top of it, he looked out for Noel and filled her in on all the gaps of conversation, and didn’t leave her out. This she greatly appreciated.

The one Gabriel had to calm down the most was Stephan. The jokester and clown of the group, he often got into fights with Lola over petty things like the radio or last piece of maple fudge.

Lola didn’t need much supervision, but she wasn’t afraid of hitting Stephan violently over the head from the back seat or fighting for the right of being Radio Master. She was still prickly two hours into the drive, and wouldn’t even look at Noel – not that she particularly minded.

“How about we just don’t listen to the radio?” asked Constantine as Stephan and Lola’s voices began to rise higher and higher.

“Good idea.” Gabriel reached over to switch it off, and as the wailing voice of some African drummers stopped, so did the engine. Luckily they were on a country road empty of cars and all sings of life, and as the engine spluttered they came to a slow stop.

They all sat in silence for a few moments, looking at each other, wondering what to say.

“Was that supposed to happen?” asked Stephan hesitantly.

Lola hit him over the head “Yeah dip wad, we were meant to break down.”

“I was just asking!”

“I don’t care, it was a stupid question!”

“Well, you’re a stupid question!”

“Stephen, your brain patterns amaze me daily.”

“Oh yeah? I bet you eat nasty pills for breakfast.”

“Great comeback, stupid.”

“Don’t call me stupid, stupid!”

“I’ll call you whatever I want, you little-”