Chapter Thirty-Six || Blast to the Past

Chapter Thirty-Six

Blast to the Past

            The heat was rising off of the road and the Volvo was stifling hot. The air conditioner was broken.

“We need more water.” Lola said miserably. “And gas I think, too.”

She was right. The metre was hovering dangerously close to empty.

“Okay, but make it quick – if we don’t make it to the lake by today we could miss our window completely.” Constantine spotted a turn off and made it.

They were stopped at a minuscule gas station, falling out of the car; outside was worse than in.

"HEY this place has a Tim Hortons!" Stephan cried joyfully as they pulled to a stop. "I LOVE CANADA SO MUCH." He ran joyfully inside, shouting he’d get icecaps for everyone.

Noel was about to follow him into the cool, air conditioned inside of Tim’s when her phone went off. “Hullo?”

Ellie?

“Kent!”

The voice on the other end sounded tired. “Have you found him yet?

Noel’s heart sank. Gabriel’s little brother called her every few weeks, asking if there was any news; he could only contact her when his father went out for a little while. He was trapped in that ugly home.

“No Kent, not yet. But we’re on our way to where we think he is.”

I miss him.” Kent said, sniffling.

“I…I miss him, too Kent.” It was true. Noel missed him so much her heart hurt, something she didn’t understand. She really had only known Gabriel for nine months, but somehow when he wasn’t close by she felt unsafe, unconnected; empty. “I promise I’ll try my best to get him back to you soon, though, okay?”

…okay.

“I’ll come visit this summer, too.” She sighed. If she made it out of Hell alive, that is.

Really?

“Yeah, of course. We can get pancakes.”

Can we –” his sentence was cut off. “I gotta go Ellie.”

“Kent? Hey, don’t worry okay? We’re going to get him back.”

Bye, Ellie.” Kent whispered before hanging up.

Noel closed her eyes for a second, breathing deeply. They would get Gabriel back, if not for herself then for Kent. He couldn’t go through life having lost his mother and big brother. That was just too much.

It was getting cooler when they began to get closer to Gods Lake and Noel finally dropped off; she really should drink more coffee.