Chapter Two | Don't Call Me Angel

Chapter Two

Don’t Call Me Angel

            “Stars be darned.” Noel hissed, struggling to ride her bike. After her scuffle with the Fosters’ lawn the day before her wheels were completely bent out of shape, making it impossible to ride her bike.

Wobbling down the street, Noel let out a yelp as she rammed her tire into a drain, tumbling onto the sidewalk and tearing the knee of her jeans.

“Hey Angel – you need a ride?”

Looking up, Noel found the owner of the silken voice to be none other than Gabriel. He was watching her with an amused smile out of the passenger window, one hand lazily thrown over the steering wheel.

A tingling started at the bottom of Noel’s spine, and she shivered; the funny feeling Gabriel gave her grew the more he looked at her with those pale eyes “No thanks.”

Eyeing her bike, Gabriel fought a smile “You sure Angel, your ride looks pretty bent out of shape.”

Huffing, Noel stood and got back on her bike “Don’t call me that.”

“What, Angel?”

“Yes!” the word made Noel as if someone had placed a set of dumbbells on her shoulders.

Shrugging, Gabriel drove slowly beside her as she wobbled along “Sure thing birdie, but are you sure you don’t want a ride?”

Grimacing, Noel struggled to go on “I’m fine, and I’m not a bird.”

“You’re skinny enough for one, and if I can’t call you Angel, birdie will have to do.” He smirked “And you should really accept my ride, its going to start raining any minute now.”

Sighing, Noel stopped and glowered over at him “Okay, but if you call me any sort of nickname I’m riding on the roof.”

Grinning, Gabriel stopped and popped the trunk “Sure thing Angel.”

~*~*~*~

            The silence blooming in the silver Volvo was thick, and Noel could feel his gaze flickering over to her.

“So…” he started “What’s AyCa like?”

“Dull.” She replied coolly, staring straight ahead. The tingles had advanced up her spine, spreading over the expanse of her shoulders.

Gabriel ignored her obvious attempt at crushing all conversation “Anything I should watch out for?”

“Not really.”

Shifting in his seat, Gabriel turned on the windshield wipers as rain started to pour down, just as he’d predicted. “Are you usually such an ice princess?” he asked, smirking over at her.