Chapter Nine | Grandma to the Rescue

Chapter Nine

Grandma to the Rescue

                  The Lewis household was normally very calm and tranquil, and very little could ripple its still surfaces. Very little, perhaps excusing, Grandmother Ethel.

Noel loved her grandmother more than anything, but the fury her mother went through before her arrival nearly drove her to madness. Enlisted to help cook and clean, Noel found herself dragged from the comforting four blue walls of her bedroom to help ready the house for her grandmother’s entrance.

“Noel, she’s here!” Bernie cried, bum sticking out from behind the Christmas tree “Mark, come help with these damned lights – they won’t turn on!”

As her parents fiddled with the tree, Noel flew down the stairs to open the door and embrace the tiny old lady who stood on their porch, her fur coat nearly fully enveloping her.

“Noel darling, have I shrunk or you grown?” she laughed, puckering her lips to kiss her granddaughters cheek, leaving a red lipstick smudge behind.

“I think you’ve shrunk Granny.” Noel took Grandma Ethel’s coat and led her to the living room, were Bernie and Mark rushed to greet her.

Bernie became very flustered; as she always did around Grandma Ethel “You’re early Mother.”

“Of course Bernice, when am I ever late? And one can never be on time.” She reached Mark and opened her arms welcomingly “Marcus, my wonderful son; you have not written me in a very long time.”

“It’s lovely to see you Ethel.” Mark smiled tightly, embracing his mother in law.

They sat down for tea, and when Grandma Ethel seated herself on the couch her feet barely brushed the ground. She dotted on Noel, picked at her daughter and praised Mark; she was an unfair, cackling sort of lady, and either adored or reprimanded, nothing in-between.

“We’re having our neighbours over for Christmas dinner tomorrow Mother,” Bernie said as she brought out the shortbread “Helen and Dave are very nice, and their nephew Gabriel goes to school with Noel.”

Grandma Ethel raised her eyebrows “And what sort of young man is this Gabriel, Ellie?”

“He…” Noel thought of the harlequin romance novels, glowing blue swords and tendency to call her everything but her own name “Has good personal hygiene.”

“Oh,” said Grandma Ethel, obviously delighted “This should be very interesting indeed then.”

                  Christmas dinner came about much too quickly for Noel’s liking, and when she spotted the Fosters cutting across the lawn towards her house, she sighed. Grandma Ethel was going to be embarrassing, Gabriel would call her Angel and her mother would try to dangle some mistletoe over them.

It was going to be a long night.

The doorbell rang, and Noel went to answer it; her father was in his study, absorbed with something, and her mother was busy with the food. Grandma Ethel was sitting in the high backed chair she brought with her whenever staying overnight, knitting.

The Fosters and Gabriel stood on the other side of the frosted glass, and she opened it with a tight smile; she really did like Mr and Mrs. Foster, but didn’t want to be around Gabriel for several hours with bad holiday music.

“Hello Noel!” Mrs. Foster said happily, kissing her cheek “What are you eating tonight?”

“Fo-turkey.” She said, taking their coats.

Mr Foster made a face “That sounds very unappetising, are you sure you wouldn’t prefer regular turkey?”

Noel nodded and led them into the living room “Granny, the Fosters are here. This is my grandmother Ethel, she’s visiting from Niagara.”

Grandma Ethel looked up from her knitting and zeroed in on Gabriel. Standing up, she shuffled over to him and looked up (she only reached his mid chest) and gave him a toothy, red lipstick smeared smile “Well, I thought I’d never see the day – a Chosen One in the flesh.”

Gabriel seemed to pale, if that were possible with his fair complexion, and smiled tensely “It’s nice to meet you Mrs…?”

“Bennet.” Supplied Bernie from the doorway “And my apologies Gabriel, mother has…er, become a little dotty in her old age.”

“Don’t be silly Bernice!” Grandma Ethel said, shuffling back to her chair “I’m very honoured to meet young Gabriel.”

Noel watched her grandmother watch Gabriel all through wine and cheese, then dinner and dessert – she escaped their company for a few minutes to refill the cookie plate. She was about to return when Gabriel came in, looking rather pleased with himself.

“Your grandma has the sight.” He said, smug.

Plucking a cookie for herself, Noel shook her head “Oh come off it Gabriel, leave it all alone. We both know its rubbish.”

“Don’t be so close minded darling,” Grandma Ethel said from behind them, shuffling into the kitchen “The young man is right.”

Gabriel gave her look that very clearly said ‘I told you so’ and sat at the island. “You’ll have to believe me now, Angel.”

Ignoring him, Noel turned to Grandma Ethel “Granny, stop pulling my leg.”

Rouged lips pulling into a smile that used to draw young men to their knees, Grandma Ethel pulled herself up on a stool “I’m not Ellie, and I know how stubborn you are, but just listen to Gabriel.”

“I’ve already told her everything,” said Gabriel happily “She just doesn’t believe me.”

“I don’t believe you because it’s rubbish!” she cried, and then hiccupped.

Grandma Ethel laughed “Don’t be nervous Noel, there is no need. Now, how about I start from the beginning? Yes, I think that would be wisest. It all began a very long time ago in ancient Greece…”

A/N: Haha, I love Grandma Ethel. She's so nutty.

Question: What do you think Grandma Ethel will tell them? And what do you think of her?

Rose<3