Chapter Thirty-Five || Constantine's Mom Takes Us Camping

Chapter Thirty-Five

Constantine’s Mom Takes Us Camping

“Mom, what’re you doing here?” grumbled Constantine, throwing the door open and stepping out.

“Just thought I’d pop in,” she said, inspecting her nails. Athena was dressed like a warrior Queen dipped in silver, laced up boots going up to her thighs, a rather impractical bodice – she practically sparkled.

“Seriously? Now?” Constantine looked annoyed, an expression Noel had never witnessed on his usually serene face.

“I haven’t seen you in a while.”

“It’s been three years.”

“I know,” she said, unapologetic. “You have grown.”

“Yeah, that tends to happen.”

Her face softened slightly from cold-blooded killer to mildly empathetic badass cop. “You look so much like Tarek.”

Constantine’s expression rippled for a moment. “What do you want?”

“I thought we could chat, you and your little friends.” She said.

“We’re sort of on a tight schedule.”

“I know, I know – but you’ll never make it to Gods Lake without a few hours sleep. Hm?”

“Fine.”

“I set up camp a little into the trees, follow me!”

Constantine got back in the car, slamming his door rather violently.

“Your Mum seems nice.” Noel said hesitantly.

“She’s not.” He said coldly. “I promise you, she doesn’t give a shit about us, me or Gabriel. Let’s go.”

~*~*~*~

            Athena sat them in a tent full of silver cushions, a fire set in the centre. A hole in the top of the tent let out smoke and revealed the starry sky; it had grown dark since the hellhounds had attacked.

“Sit, sit.” She urged, settling herself on the cushions.

Noel sat beside Constantine, feeling safer beside his tall, lanky form. Something about the Goddess made Noel’s spine tingle in the bad way, the tingle she had learned to trust; Athena was not here for a pleasant catch-up with her son.

“Your father asked me to say hello, Lola.” Athena said cheerily, though rather stiff; she was obviously uncomfortable with such topics. She seemed much more like the sort of person to get straight to the point.