Chapter Thirty-Eight || Up, Up We Go

Up, Up We Go

            “We’re what?” Noel gasped as she was handed a bowl of porridge from Misty.

“Flying there.” Repeated Constantine.

Ronnie chuckled. “Don’t look so scared, I know what I’m doing.”

Misty laid a reassuring, shadowy hand on her shoulder. “Ronnie is a good pilot, Noel.”

“What about Gabriel’s car?” the silver Volvo had been a haven for Noel in the past six months; its scent had finally begun to fade, but it still smelted faintly of Gabriel. It was her link to him; she felt safe in it.

“We can’t drive to Iqaluit.” Lola pointed out.

“We’ll take good care of it, you can pick it up after.” Soothed Misty. “Eat up everyone, I can only control the weather for so long.”

“Make sure we don’t fall out of the sky.” Stephan tried to say it jokingly, but he looked a little terrified. “My Dad fell from the sky, remember?”

“I was born to be in the air, don’t worry.” Ronnie grabbed her keys. “Whose ready to fly, eh?”

            Noel looked hesitantly at the small plane, very unsure. She felt a little lost without her duffle bag containing her clothes and a book or two…or more. Constantine had looked at her like she was crazy when she’d offered him a novel from her small collection the night before.

“This is a rescue mission, why did you bring a library?” Stephan had asked.

“I get bored on long trips!” she’d defended.

Constantine had frowned. “You can’t bring those to Iqaluit.”

“Why?”

“It’s a rescue mission. If Hades wanted a good read you’d get Gabriel back in no time, but –”

“This is a rescue mission.” Noel had said miserably, packing two shirts and a few pairs of socks into her knapsack for the plane ride. At the last minute she’d grabbed a harlequin romance novel for Gabriel; he might want something to read on their way home.

Before they got on the plane Misty pulled Noel aside. “You all right?”

She shrugged. “I’m going to Hell, Misty.”

“You’ll be fine, just bring Gabriel home, okay?” she smiled, her starry eyes welcoming. “I know you can do it.”

“Thank you, Misty.” Noel smiled nervously back. “Just make sure we don’t crash, ‘kay?”