Chapter Thirty-Seven || Gods Lake

Gods Lake

            Thunderclouds rolledoverhead, and though it was midday it felt as if it were late evening; fog tumbled over the lake so heavily you almost couldn’t make out the water. The entire town had disappeared in a billowing gray blanket.

They had pulled up in front of a small two story cottage and two figures emerged from within, the smaller of the two practically disappearing in the fog. In fact, as Noel looked closer she realized the girl was part of the fog.

“Is she…” Noel didn’t know how to form her question.

“A fog spirit.” Stephan supplied. “Misty, she’s cool. Ronnie’s told me about her but we’ve never met.”

“Inter-species lesbianism.” Lola nodded her head appreciatively. “My Dad would encourage me to partake in this progressive behaviour.”

Stephan sniggered. “Your Dad’s a perv, Lola.”

She rolled her mossy eyes at him “And you’re not?”

“C’mon, we don’t have a lot of time.” Constantine glanced up at the sky worriedly. “Especially if this weather holds out, I don’t know how Ronnie will get us to Iqaluit with this fog.”

They got out of the car and Noel shivered as the mist fogged up her glasses and settled on her skin, raising the hairs all over her body. Gods Lake had an ancient air to it, a history that ran deep and far back, to before anyone inhabited this land.

“Stephan!” the tall girl, the one not made of mist, ran over and hugged the gangly boy tightly. “I was worried you’d gotten lost.”

“Sort of.” Constantine smiled and shook her hand. “We ran into some hell hounds.”

“And Constantine’s mom.” Added Lola.

The fog girl winced a little. “She’s kinda scary.”

Stephan smirked at Constantine, wiggling his eyebrows. “That lady is scary and foxy.”

Ronnie rolled her eyes in a very Lola fashion and peered behind her friend. “Whose this?”

“I’m Noel.” She gave a slight wave.

“Gabriel’s girlfriend.” Stephan stage-whispered, then cleared his throat when Noel shot him a glare. “Well kinda. He was sort of kidnapped before they, you know, made things official.”

“Not relevant, Stephan.” Noel mumbled.

“Why don’t you come in?” Misty asked, opening the cottage door. As they entered the cozy cottage Noel got a better look at Misty now that she wasn’t blending with the fog. She looked like a ghost almost, as if she were a girl made of incredibly dense fog. Long tendrils of mist made up a mane of silvery hair going down her back and her eyes were swirls of what could have been stars. It was a little odd, because she was wearing human clothes; human proportions of fog filled out jean shorts, flip-flops and a wrongly buttoned plaid shirt.