Chapter Forty-Nine || We Can Finally Stop Running

Chapter Forty-Nine

We Can Finally Stop Running

          It was the oddest sensation of floating. The air was neither hot nor cold, and cradled them gently. Noel knew that Hypnos had put them to sleep at Thanatos' request; he'd merely told them to think lightly.

Like Peter Pan, Noel had thought dreamily, holding onto Gabriel even tighter.

This was what safety felt like. It was soft and gentle, and smelled like the field at home.

Something was pulling her from this deep sleep however, like a string tied to her sternum. She could feel the hard ground beneath her, the light rain falling; she caught a whiff of clean water.

"Noel." Someone squeezed her hand. "Open your eyes."

"No."

"Why?"

"I'm scared you'll be gone."

"Hey," the hands moved to her hair, pushing it back, and she could feel a face very close to hers. "I'm right here."

The tears came quickly, and Noel sobbed; she only opened her eyes when Gabriel's arms were around her. He felt the same and smelled the same, and his voice was like coming home.

"I missed you." She finally choked out.

"I sure hope so, that's what kept me going." Gabriel sighed and stood up, offering her his hand. She accepted, and it was then that Noel realized where they were. They were back at God's Lake, right on the shore; their friends were a little further down, waiting with Thanatos.

"Guys." The friends collapsed into a hug, and Noel stood at the side until Lola ushered her in. The five clung to each other, exclaiming – they'd done it.

"Well done, all of you." Thanatos was at the waters edge, the waves lapping at his wings. "You showed real courage."

"Thank you, for helping us." Gabriel put his arm around Noel, tugging her closer. "We wouldn't have made it if you hadn't shown up."

"Well, that wasn't entirely me. Noel, that was all you." Thanatos smiled for the first time, and he looked rather inviting that way.

Noel's face scrunched, and she gave Thanatos a bewildered look. "But I didn't do anything, just...Cassandra?"

"You called out to her, without even meaning to – she in turn came to me." Thanatos looked up at the setting sun. "I must go, but I wish you the best. Lay low while we sort through this mess." He shook his head, addressing Gabriel. "Your father always wanted more, I am truly sorry he stole these months away from you."

"Thank you again, Thanatos." Gabriel nodded; it was respectful and slight.

"I'll be keeping an eye on you as well, Noel." He grinned in a knowing manner. "There is still so much you have to discover."

The God disappeared in a split moment, leaving two footprints in the moss growing over the rocks. There was a split moment of silence and then –

"Constantine!"

They all turned, seeing the Ramsey twins, Misty and Ronnie standing at the trees. Verity was running, and Constantine set off, and they hit like an exploding star.

"Welcome back!" called Ronnie, bounding down the waters edge, giving Stephan a big hug. Misty gave Noel a slight wave and a knowing smile.

They gathered there, at the fringe of Gods Lake. Constantine was holding Verity close, everyone was tired and dirty and sore – but there was an air of finality, and it felt good to just stand as one in the gloaming.

"So, what now?" Stephan asked.

Gabriel puts his arm around Noel, and she smiled. "I think it's time to go home."

Gabriel found Noel sitting outside on the rocks, knees to her chest.

"Shouldn't you be sleeping?" he asked, settling beside her. A blanket was tucked under his arms, and he pulled it over both their shoulders.

"Maybe, shouldn't you? I didn't spend six months in hell."

"I didn't spend six months on a rescue mission." He teased, pulling her close.

Noel gladly melted into his hold, fitting into his arms and letting out a long sigh. They lay back on the rock, watching the clear sky, stars blinking back.

"You know how often I thought of you?" he asked, looking over at her, one arm tucked behind his head.

The sky was purple and just getting starry, the trees shook gently in a breeze barely noticeable; and Noel was lying beside Gabriel. Behind them, Ronnie and Misty's cottage was dark. It felt very surreal.

"No." she said reasonably. "I wasn't there."

"I thought of you every day," he whispered, turning his head toward her. "Every second not occupied by pain was filled up by you, by how normal I felt with you – not a hero, not a demigod. Just a guy with a girl he couldn't help but fall for."

"You are getting awfully poetic," she pointed out. "Too many romance novels."

He chuckled. "Too much?"

"Nope." Noel trained her eyes on Gabriel, lit only by the moon and stars. "I love you."

Gabriel's face was priceless as he mulled over her words. "I love you, too."

"Good. I've been waiting a long time to tell you that." She snuggled closer to him, feeling the vibrations of his laughter against her shoulder. "What's so funny?"

"Nothing," he pressed a gentle kiss to her collarbone. "Just – fuck, I love you. I love you, Noel."

"I know," she said smugly. "I saved your life."

He let out a loud, barking laugh. "Why yes you did."

Under the stars and sky and in the open air, Noel and Gabriel stayed close, looking forward to going home and being normal again, together. 

A/N: Now, how fucking LONG have you been waiting for that end scene? I really really freaking long time. What sweeties. 

Next is the epilogue, and then...yeah. That will be the end! Someone asked if I'd ever consider doing a Constantine story, and I'm not opposed...? If that's something you'd like, let me know!

Happy spring, I guess. Its cold as fuck here in Canada. 

Rose