Chapter Twenty | I Compete with the Archery Queen

Chapter Twenty

I Compete with the Archery Queen

           The Greeks sure knew how to party, Noel had figured that much out. There had been cheers and music going on long into the night, causing her to use the ear plugs her mother had packed.

It had been a while since Noel had called her parents, purely because she hadn’t had their consistent and frequent calls to remind her. So before the first day of festivities began, Noel grabbed a piece of toast and headed out to find a quiet spot to call Bernie and Mark.

Much to her dismay however, there was zero cell service throughout the whole camp. Just as she was about to give up hope however, she ran into Stephan.

A circle of cars all with their hoods up surrounded the red headed Hephaestus son, along with another kid, grease stains covering her freckled arms.

“Hey Noel!” Stephan called, seeing her “Come take a look at this.”

Walking over, Noel peered into the hood of a car “It looks like someone digested everything and then threw it up and tried to make it look like nothing happened.”

“Exactly!” he cried “Some of these demigods I swear, they just take us Hephaestus kids for granted.”

“They do take us for granted.” The girl said, wiping her hands on a pair of ripped jeans. She grinned over at Noel, and she easily saw the same mischief in her as Stephan. “I’m Lana, daughter of Hephaestus.”

“Noel, uh…not exactly mortal?”

“This is a good example of a fruit salad Lana,” said Stephan, reaching his hand deep into the engine and pulling out a handful of wires “Noel has all sorts of godly blood in her family tree, and is the descendant of some Greek seer!”

“Cassandra.” She piped up, wincing as Stephan hauled out the majority of the engine. “Hey, do you know where I can get reception?”

Stephan grabber her phone and took out the back, placing a little chip inside “I’ve been handing them out,” he told her “Lana and I have been working on them so people can call within the veil. It tends to mess with the signal.”

“Thanks!” taking her phone back, Noel said goodbye and wandered until she found the edge of the veil. A thin red string was looped around the boundaries, with little signs saying things like ‘look out, you’re passing into the wild!’ and ‘You’re not in Alice Through the Looking Glass, back the heck up’. Dialling her home number, it picked up before the first ring was even finished.

“NOEL!” screamed two tinny voices, and Noel yanked the phone away from her ear.

“Hey,” she said, wincing as static buzzed in her ear.

“Oh honey,” Bernie said “We were getting a little worried, is everything going okay?”