Chapter Forty || I really Hate Monsters

Chapter Forty

I Really Hate Monsters

Seven demigods, one boat, and several Pegasi. Not Noel's favourite kind of situation.

"I'm afraid of horses." She whispered to Constantine, who laughed. She scowled. "Not. Funny."

Basil put a reassuring hand on her shoulder, giving it a pat. "They're harmless, really."

Eyeing them suspiciously, Noel followed them onto the boat – the last person on. "I don't really like boats either."

"You're not adventurous, are you?" asked Basil.

"Um, no." Shivering on the deck, Noel glanced around; the body of the boat was red, with railings and a cabin near the front. The Pegasi lingered in front of the cabin, the cold wind in their face. Basil explained that the Pegasi were coming along partially as a pretense – or an escape.

"Escape?" asked Noel nervously.

"You never know what might come up. Besides, they're more reliable than a life boat."

The boat left shore, and soon the Ramsey house was a spot in the distance. Noel found it was rather nice to stand at the back end of the boat, watching the land disappear. Lola joined her.

"Are you scared?" she asked, leaning against the railing.

"Of course." Said Noel. "Aren't you?"

"Not so much of the danger, but – well, who we might meet down there." Lola kept her eyes firmly on the rapidly shrinking shoreline.

"Oh. You mean Paul?"

"Yeah. I mean...the last I saw him he died, Noel. Because of something stupid I did."

"You were just kids."

"We weren't supposed to be. Demigods have to grow up fast, but I was irrational and didn't think it through. He even warned me and I didn't listen."

Noel spoke hesitantly. "I didn't know him, but I don't think he'd have blamed you."

"He wouldn't have." Lola admitted. "Which is why it's so awful he had to die, because he was so much nicer and a better person. If I see him down there...I don't know what either of us would even say." She stared at the frothing water below. "I'm trying not to get my hopes up, but the possibility – it's so insane, that I could see him again."

Wanting to say something comforting, but not really sure what to say in this situation – who has to worry about running into their dead brother? Not exactly a normal circumstance. Maybe it was luck, or just a coincidence, but the just as Noel was about to say something most likely unhelpful and stupid the boat rocked. Not a gentle rock either, a harsh thwack came from the side.

"Get inside!" Shouted Basil from the cabin, looking worried.

Running, they only made it halfway before the boat rocked again – something had hit it from the other side. Thrown to the edge, they screamed; Lola's body fell against the side, and she yelled before blacking out. Noel grabbed hold of the railing, dangling off the side.

"HELP!" screaming, she tightened her grip on the railings. Lola was precariously caught in some rope now and the only thing keeping her from falling into the water were the railings.

"Hold on!" It was Stephan, rope tied around his waist. He was swinging close, and he had reached Lola. The rocking had stopped momentarily and he was able to tie rope around Lola's waist and pull Noel back onto the deck.

"What was that?" panted Noel, on her hands and knees. She felt like throwing up.

Stephan pointed. "Scylla." A large, multi headed monster was climbing onto a cliff, hissing at them – like a cat.

"What – how did we not see it?"

They lifted Lola and started carrying her back to the cabin. Constantine and Verity rushed out to help. "It came out of nowhere." Stephan told her. "It was smooth sailing, and suddenly – BAM it hits us right on the side."

"Wait, Scylla like in the Odyssey?" Noel gaped. "That – that's just a story!"

"Haven't you caught on now?" asked Constantine, looking a little annoyed. "Nothing is ever just a story."

"But, if that's Scylla...where's Charybdis?"

The teens turned away from the sea monster in terror, looking finally at their surroundings. The boat had begun to spin, in a long, slow circle.

"Hell no." Stephan gasped. "Pun intended."

"This is not happening." Groaned Verity. "Basil!"

Basil poked his head out of the cabin. "Uh, I think we're in –"

"Charybdis." They all said miserably.

"And we can't get out." Basil added. "I've been trying for the past five minutes. The boat is a goner."

"Well." Verity looked apologetically at Noel. "I guess we only have one option."

"No." muttered Noel. "Last time –"

"Its this or death." Constantine had Lola in his arms now. "C'mon. Noel, you ride with Stephan."

They went over to the Pegasi, which were now whinnying with fear. The Ramsey twins soothed them and helped put Lola on one. Stephan aided Noel, who was even less graceful than she had been when flying with Gabriel six months ago.

They were about to take off when Constantine ran from his Pegasi, straight to Verity.

They held each other like it would be the last time – and it just might be. He kissed her, a few words were exchanged. Stephan didn't snicker as he usually would, just looked very sad.

"He really loves her, eh?" Noel asked.

"You have no idea." Stephan sighed. "Being away from her this year was hard on him."

Parting, there were tears on both Verity and Constantine's cheeks. They got on their separate Pegasi, and flew in different directions. Noel made a promise to herself then, that if she couldn't get out – then Constantine had to.

A/N: I'm sorry its been so long...it was peak exam/culminating season for me and I just couldn't find the energy. But here it is now!

Question: What awaits the gang further in the arctic?

Rose