Chapter Seven | One of Us Must Be Crazy

Chapter Seven

One of Us Must Be Crazy

                  Bernie and Mark Lewis weren’t exactly what you’d call overprotective parents, but Noel practically had to lock them out of her room. She was freezing, and couldn’t seem to get enough blankets; Bernie brought her several cups of tea, even though Noel could make it herself with her plug in kettle.

Hours went by of Noel staring at the ceiling, wondering what the hell had gone on. No creature existed like the one she’d seen today, not outside of nightmares anyway – Gabriel hadn’t seemed that phased, oddly enough.

Speaking of Gabriel, he’d been throwing pebbles at her window for hours.

The constant ping! had her going crazy, and as lunchtime rolled around and Bernie had spent ten minutes trying to get her to eat some vegetable broth, Noel had had enough.

Trudging across the room, duvet wrapped around her, Noel threw open her window. “For the love of Glob what do you want?” she cried, glaring through the branches at Gabriel, whose beatific face was arranged into a sweet smile.

“We need to talk.” He said.

“No we don’t.” she said “And do you have a storage of pebbles or something, because this is getting annoying.”

He held up a cup full of pebbles and shook it, grinning “I find it amusing.” He climbed through his window and over the branches so fast Noel couldn’t even protest before he was in her room, admiring the wall completely covered in black and white post cards.

“Nice collection.” He said, admiring one of a wide eyed child in India eating corn.

“Thanks.” She mumbled, climbing back on her bed “Now get out of my room.”

Shaking his head, Gabriel joined her on the bed “Not until you let me explain.”

“Explain what? The huge butt ugly brute with udders of all things that nearly killed us?” she crossed her arms beneath the comforter and frowned “Oh, no need.”

“You’re weird, did you know that?” he asked, face still arranged in that stupid amused smile that drove Noel nuts. “But I really do owe you an explanation, for everything.”

Leaning back, Noel handed him a blanket. “Okay, fine. You have five minutes.”

“It might take a little longer than five minutes.”

“Five. Minutes.”

He raised his hands in defeat “Okay, okay. Just promise me something first – don’t freak out.”

Narrowing her eyes at him, she shook her head “Can’t promise that, I’m very prone to freaking out.”