force of nature | kenma kozume | fluff/angst part 2

"cause you're a force of nature, look at what you've done. i can taste the danger but i don't wanna run so pull me to the ground and i won't put up a fight. i'm a caution taker, but baby you're a force of nature."
-bea miller, force of nature

rip who asked for this youre welcome dude

---

the next stage of your relationship jumped to subtle interaction.

there was actually a pond behind your classroom block, where there were a few tables and chairs. in the actual pond was a few terrapins, which made that pond pretty special considering that your school was practically lifeless everywhere else. after class during recess, after you'd seen kenma going there with kuroo, you started going there with one of your friends.

initially, he'd stand at one end of the area playing games and y'all would stand at the other. however, call it spontaneous or whatever, one day, both pairs ended up in the middle, gaming and studying on the same table, opposite one another and yet, no form of actual interaction. it was actually a pretty nice to study opposite kenma kozume who did nothing but game. you often wondered how he managed to constantly hand in his work on time. for someone who has a screwed up sleep schedule with video games on top of that, homework was impressive.

  so every single day you'd sit at the same table with him, sneaking glances at the boy who sat across you, engrossed in his games. honestly, you didn't even have the slightest idea about his opinion on you. he probably didn't even have one. he didn't go out of his way to do anything for you, but he was welcoming, sweet, inviting and yet, indifferent, tired and practically emitted an air of "i want to die". honestly, same.

and worse, (g/n) was still around. there was nothing bad she did to you, actually, so it felt like shit whenever you cursed her internally. jealousy was a bad feeling and you weren't buying any of it. she was actually a very sweet and helpful girl. she didn't have the best looks on the planet either, so you knew. you knew he had fallen for her and her being only, which sucked, because those were going to be the truest feelings one could have.

he went out of his way for her and her only.

as much as kenma was on his phone, as ironic as it seems, he was rarely on social media. he only used his phone to text people and play games, so there wasn't any time slot where he'd go on social media. but he did. he did for her. and you, yes you, were the root cause.

you were texting him, "i got that picture from (g/n)'s friend she posted it somewhere".

he replied, "(g/n)'s friend? what's her username?"

and it seemed everything related to her, he'd go out of his way to find out more about it, learn about it. he was a huge stalker, just unfortunately not yours. on his account, on his account he had barely used in the past year, he followed just 20 people. and she was the only one he'd followed because he wanted to and not because he felt obliged to.

"initially the only girl i talked to was you but now i talk to (g/n) a fair bit," he would say. "she's very nice and i'm surprised she tolerates me i feel like i'm acting very weird to her."

and you knew there was no way he wasn't attracted. and yet, he was still a risk you were willing to take. although the consequences may hurt you, you were willing to take him as a risk because being hurt by him was good enough already. he was a sincere guy, so whatever he said, it could either be the absolute worst or the absolute best. so you took your chance and didn't try to attract him, but just tried to be a better friend. you didn't even need him to reply you back in real life. you just wanted to know you made an impact in his life somewhere.

a risk that's worth taking is a risk that's good enough. and he, kenma kozume, with the timid eyes, the fade into the background, the indifferent demeanour, the soft personality, was good enough. and you weren't someone who fell in love easily. it was simply because you didn't trust easily. you didn't want your heart to be shattered so easily. but he was tempting, and you gave in. he was someone you didn't want to get hurt by and yet you'd risk everything on him because he was good enough to risk on.

  "when's your birthday, kenma?" you asked.

  "16th october, why?" he answered.

  "i just wanted to wish you."

  and if you couldn't make him the happiest man on earth, it was enough to see him just a little happy, maybe because someone remembered his birthday, who knows? maybe because someone turned up for his matches? she could make him a million times happier, but fuck it, you were good enough and you were his 'happy enough'.