when the party's over | kageyama tobio | angst songfic

"don't you know i'm no good for you?"

  "hey kageyama, do you have practice tomorrow?" you ask. you knew there was practice, obviously, but you wanted to talk to him.

  "yes, but i'm not going," he says. geez.

  "wait- um- kageyama- this is random but do you want to go for lunch together tomorrow then?"

  "sure."

  it wasn't a pleasant feeling to be your friend, you presumed. besides, you were clingy, annoying, noisy and weird. yet he was handling everything so well. even when he was on the verge of bursting, he held everything in so well. yikes.

"i've learnt to lose you, can't afford to"

  there was well, a period of time where he had distanced himself from you. it sucked, tremendously.

  he didn't talk to you, he didn't acknowledge you and it wasn't even because he was mad at you. it was because he was particularly close to this group of friends that had left him behind later on.

  a month later he had learnt to appreciate you. and you swore on your life you wouldn't blow your chance with him.

"tore my shirt to stop you bleeding"

  you were submissive to him and whatever he suggested. even if he said something like "it's okay if you don't want to", you damn well knew that if it meant making him happy, you wanted to.

  he was insecure. he thought he hadn't changed a bit since junior high. and he never showed it. although he could be scary at times, he was still overwhelmingly sweet. he knew he didn't want to hurt anyone anymore.

  and bloody hell, you did want to help him, even if it meant that the world would turn on you.

"but nothing ever stops you leaving."

  school was terrible most of the time. imagine having to face someone you were losing everyday. it was like you couldn't wait for the day to end everyday.

  watching them disappear with every step you took towards them you would start screaming out for them, submitting to them, caring for them and making sure they'd never get hurt.

"quiet when i'm coming home and i'm on my own."

  eventually you did get close to him. it was the kind of close that gave both sides the authority to jokingly insult each other. those were the kinds of relationship you yearned for. but with someone like kageyama, it wasn't easy to keep.

and you talked, laughed and studied together. every, single, day. until it came to a point where you knew he was annoyed by you.

"i could lie, say i like it like that, like it like that"

you pick up the phone.

"(y/n)-san, i'm not going to be able to make it for lunch today, i'm going out with a classmate. i'm very sorry."

the formal tone, the lack of expression, yep, that was kageyama for you.

"oh." you take a deep breath. god, that sucked. who was he close to in his class? was it a girl? "it's okay, kageyama."

"i could lie, say i like it like that, like it like that."

you fell face flat on your bed.

fucking hell, it hurt. and it wasn't like you didn't know this was going to hurt you. you damn well knew you were going to regret falling for him but at the same time, giving up wasn't an option.