wish u were gay | yamaguchi tadashi | angst

"wanting to be with someone so bad it hurts, and not wanting to accept that this person doesn't want you in return. at least if they were gay, i'd have a valid reason for their rejection and lack of interest in being with me."
-billie eilish

---

  he wasn't someone that was well, particularly perfect or particularly terrible. he was smart, yes, he was kind, yes, but what else was he that set him apart from the rest? sure, he had his faults. blur, kinda annoying, probably loves tsukishima more than anyone else, can be irritating if he wants to. yet, he always had stuck out for you. rose among thorns, they'd say.

  extraordinary. extraordinarily nice.

  nice, to you in the context of yamaguchi at least, wasn't- well- a word that you just threw in so as to have a reason for him to be special. anyone can be nice, it's not a difficult thing. but to be extraordinarily nice can mean an extraordinary number of things.

  "nice" breaks itself up into different pleasant adjectives. yamaguchi was kind, sweet and gentle, as mentioned earlier. however, he was also brave, strong, quirky, funny, sensitive and understanding.

  he was the type of guy that'd talk to you late into the night because you were simply bored, he was the type of guy that'd promise you everything would be okay, he was the type of guy that'd do everything he could for even people he hated so they'd feel better. yeah, i know, what a sweetheart.

  so we begin now.

  you jump as your phone dings. you check the screen, "yamaguchi tadashi sent you a message." you quietly squeal in excitement as you open your phone.

tadashi: Haha yeah we should meet up it's been a while
you: yEAH it has
you: all of us miss you
tadashi: Really? I'm missing you all too
you: aww
tadashi: Aww
you: how are your studies?
tadashi: I'm in Karasuno High it's kinda not as tough here but since I'm a volleyballer with Tsukki here it's been pretty tiring
tadashi: Idk what to do honestly everyone's suddenly so good '=.=
you: it's ok just try your best i guess
tadashi: Haha thanks
tadashi: I gotta go
tadashi: Byee

  as he went offline, you sighed. there really was no chance.

  it freaking sucked, having to like someone that had absolutely no interest in you. wasting your time thinking about them every single second of the day, feeling sad just because they didn't reply you, feeling happy just because of a miserable text. you wanted to leave so badly, but there was a part of you that insisted on staying.

---

  you walk over to your ringing phone.

  "yamaguchi tadashi is calling."

  you pick up.

  "hey (y/n)! do you want to meet up? i'm quite free now and we haven't seen each other since i moved," came his friendly voice. of course you wanted to.

you took a deep breath. "sure, can you make it at 5 at the cafe we used to go to?" you said as casually as possible. bullshit, you were having a fucking breakdown inside.

"yup! see you there!"

as he put down the phone you exhaled fast. what a rollercoaster.

---

  6:15 p.m. your heart beats fast as you open the cafe door. you were early.

  or so you thought.

  "(y/n)! you're early too!"

  oh god.

  he stood up like the gentleman he was and pulled out your chair for you and helped you in. you smiled to yourself. damn boy, he made you change your mind about saying he wasn't particularly perfect. he was.