Shared Pain (Toogata Mirio)

Toogata Mirio x reader

Requested By: sokorimin

Request: Mirio in a pre-established relationship with a S/O who has a pain transfer quirk— they can take away pain from a target and experience it themself instead, and vice versa. And not just physical pain, so emotional pain like stress and such can be affected by their quirk. S/O visits Mirio in the hospital after the end of the raid on the Shie Hassaikai (eight precepts of death) and offers to use their quirk to help him. I'm thinking angst/hurt+comfort but whatever you think would fit better is ok too! Also it would be great if you used they/them for the S/O! Thank you and have a wonderful day/night!

You stood in front of the door to the room you had been told he was resting inside. Your hand gripping the handle tightly as you tried to collect yourself before entering the space. If anything needed to be done today, it was that you needed to be strong for not only him, but for yourself.

Mirio had always been strong and brave, and kind, and... and so much better then you in every aspect for hero life and training for the last three years. And now, somehow... fate decided to make it seem like he was less worthy of the title of hero then you. A decision you couldn't understand at all, nor could you truly make sense of it.

Mirio was the embodiment of a hero... and now, for some reason... that had been taken from him.

You wiped away the budding tears before they could leak out any further. No more trying to avoid it, it was time for you to walk into the room and see him again. Tamaki had been very adamant that the blonde boy had been wanting to see you since he got admitted to the hospital.

And finally you were here.

With a final gasp of breath, you pushed open the door and entered, looking for the boy who had captured your heart a while ago, and now was holding very gracefully in his capable hands.

You had expected him to be sitting in his bed, staring out the window, the rays of the sun reflecting off of him and making him look as if he was sparkling and the son of a God himself. But instead, you were greeted by the sight of Mirio not resting his injuries away... but rather doing push ups off the ground with a single hand.

"What are you doing?!" You screamed, nearly dropping the 'Get Well Soon' items that were resting in your arms.

Mirio looked up, seeing you standing there, and with a smile, pushed himself upwards and waved towards you. That same goofy smile of his, and from what you could tell, no single trace of sadness of longing in those navy blue hues of his.

"Got to keep up with my exercises! Just because I'm in white robes doesn't mean I should be slacking off!" Mirio exclaimed to you, pointing towards himself with another large and goofy grin.

His eyes widened suddenly when he saw a bouquet of flowers in your hands, a collections of sunflowers, lilies, and what looked to be lavender. His eyes tracing from the flowers to the little plush in your hands and his favorite foods as well.

"Man! Tamaki said you'd be coming to see me today... but I didn't think it would be so early, (Name)!" He laughed, moving to the bed and then motioning for you to come and sit next to him.

You followed him, only taking a seat once the flowers were put on his bedside table. Lucky for you, it appeared an empty vase was waiting for flowers. Mirio watched as you slowly sat down next to him, pressing your hands onto your thighs and then tightening your palms into fists.

His smile faltered for a second and he looked towards his own legs covered in a hospital given outfit of a sterile white shirt and pants.

"How much did Tamaki and Hadou tell you?" He asked, seeing you tense up.

"Enough..." You spoke, and noticed him nodding from the corner of your eyes.

"So... Sir-"

"I know."

"And the Precepts-"

"I know."

"My quirk?"

He felt the long silence, his ears ringing with silence as Mirio waited for you to answer back. You inhaled slowly, nodding your head to his question. Before you could help yourself, your tears started to pour from your eyes.

Mirio watched with a sad smile, knowing that it wasn't just your quirk that allowed you to feel and sense emotions and share them with others. You were too empathetic for your own good, and he hated that he was the reason for your tears today.

"Come on." He coaxed you gently, slipping his hand into yours. "Use that quirk of yours and tell me how I feel right now."

You hiccupped gently, but did as told. Your quirk activating and you making sure to be putting his pain, anguish, and despair onto you. To find even the smallest ounce and take it away from him and give it to yourself.

And yet... none came.

You had told your quirk the exact pain you were looking for and wanted to have transferred to yourself... but none of the emotional kind came.

You blinked slowly, looking at Mirio as he smiled gently to you.

"See! No pain!" He chuckled slightly. "So... don't be sad for me when I'm not even that upset about it!"

Your sadness transformed quickly and you pulled your hand away from the male. Mirio watched you, knowing some resistance was to come. This was his head strong love after all... this, he knew that at times, you assumed you knew how someone should feel since dealing with emotions and pain was something you were good at dealing with.

"How can you be okay with this?! You're quirkless now!" You cried, slamming a hand onto your chest. "How can... how can you even smile today?"

Mirio shrugged. "I guess because I realized that I still have a lot to be happy about."

"Huh?" You blinked, a tear or two escaping.

"I'm alive. We saved Eri. Everyone, aside from Sir, is fine. And Sir... he looked happy to have been with me in his final moments. I lost a lot in that last mission... but I gained a lot too." Mirio inhaled slowly. "And quirk or no quirk... I'm still going to be a hero and save people."

He reached over, ruffling your hair gently. "So stop feeling bad for me when I see no reason for anyone to feel bad for me! Smile because I made it out alive and am still kicking!"

You chuckled slowly, handing him the things you had bought and made for him. "Yeah... I guess you still are."

And despite your tears and mixed emotions on all of this still... you would smile today. Not only for him... but for you.