Late Night Coffee P.2 (Shinsou Hitoshi)

For @Spoonforsoupp

It was your last late-night shift. Summer break was ending in two days, but you needed that rest day to be able to adjust back to a normal sleep schedule. And for your last shift, it was more boring than usual.

All the normal regulars had not come by since most of them were teenagers and were of course also trying to get ready for when classes started up again in a few days. So, there was no early evening crowd as usual. It was most the odd salaryman who came in and asked for a tea after a long day.

You had barely touched the barista station too since every other person had been someone who came in for a pastry or snack. You were glad that the cakes and cookies were popular, but you liked making drinks because it gave you something to do for a few minutes until getting the sweets which only took a few seconds.

But it was getting closer to that ten pm hour and you knew who always wondered in at that time. You hoped he would tonight too and that even with school on the horizon... Shinsou still was an insomniac.

You berated yourself for such thoughts. You should not be wishing a lack of sleep onto the boy, even if him not sleeping was what gave you so many opportunities to talk to him. You would hope for this night to be his last night of sleeplessness and then by tomorrow night he'd be magically cured of his insomnia and sleep eight to nine hours through the night like all those doctors said people your age were supposed to.

He needed to come in tonight though! If he didn't, you were afraid that you wouldn't ever see him again! So you had to try and at least get a phone number or an email or some way to keep talking to him when these late-night meetings ended.

Your mind going over how to ask the purple-haired male for such a method of contact was what kept you occupied through the slow night. And sooner than you knew it, Shinsou was walking in through the door.

He looked as exhausted as usual, but looked to perk up when he saw you pouring his normal drink. He came forward, already sliding the payment towards you as you slid his drink over. You both exchanged smiles as you put the money into the register and he took his first sip.

"Last shift huh?" Shinsou hummed, remembering what you had told him a few days ago.

"Well, at least the ones at this hour." You chuckled. "I get an off day tomorrow and I'm going to spend it in bed all day! Then it'll be back to shifts right after school where I'll be stressing about making sure I have all my homework done while making drinks."

"Sounds like a hectic shift no matter the hour." Shinsou chuckled. "Are you ready to go back?"

"To school?" You asked and Shinsou nodded at you. "More or less. I'm excited to see all my classmates again but not the work I'm going to get."

"Sounds like you are a procrastinator." Shinsou teased you.

"Don't even start with me!" You whined. "Sometimes its easier to deal with a rush hour here then with my math teacher!"

Shinsou nodded his head at you, clearly entertained by this little story of yours. You huffed and then looked at him with a frown.

"What about you? I bet you're great a school."

"I have my good subjects, but my bad ones as well. I only manage to get all my work done because of my poor sleeping habits." He admitted to you and then frowned himself. "It's going to be different coming here for a late-night drink and you not be the one making said drink."

"I know. I wish I could keep these shifts too, but I need to focus on my studies again." You told him and then felt your bravery pulse.

It was now or never! Shinsou had brought up the subject and you just needed to put your plan into action. Now wasn't the time to be an awkward coward! No, it was time to be daring and get that phone number!

"But, if you're going to miss me that much... we could always exchange numbers." You breathed out smoothly. "You know to stay in contact and maybe we can even meet up and do something where I don't have to worry about burning myself with hot milk."

Shinsou blinked in surprise for a few moments and you held your breath. Please don't let this be ruined... please!

"Wow." Shinsou smirked and then fished something out of his pocket. "I was actually planning to give you my number. Guess we're on the same page."

You took the small slip of paper out of his hand and smiled at the set of numbers on it. That was so easy! You couldn't help but feel absolutely giddy when you realized you would indeed be able to stay in contact with him a bit more. And, it was that happiness that gave you the confidence to tell him why you wanted to keep seeing him.

"I like you, you know."

Shinsou stilled but slowly came back to himself. He nodded his head and you watched as he smiled yet again.

"I'm glad to hear that. I like you too."

"More then a friend?"

"More then a friend."

You laughed. "Well that was easy! Guess I might have a date coming up soon then, hm?"

"Maybe. Depends on what you think would make for a good date."

"Leaving it to me?" You hummed. "Guess I better pick something good then."

"I hope you will." Shinsou replied and took another sip of his drink.

The conversation flowed from there. By the time your shift ended and you were saying goodbye to Shinsou, the idea of making plans was pretty much guaranteed now. Not a bad end to your summer if you thought so.

Perhaps fall would be good because of this, but only time would tell. And for right now, all you wanted to do was focus on what you wanted to do for your date with the tired but cute boy.