Down the Hall (Midoriya Izuku)

For @Mik_luvpink

Your first month at college had started off unlike how you thought it would. All those movies and books about how college was the craziest thing you'd ever experience and that you'd have the best time of your life weren't your usual cup of tea... but you had thought it would be more exciting than this. For the past month, you had repeated your usual schedule of waking up, going to class, doing homework, eating dinner, and then watching some anime before you'd end up asleep.

No parties or friends or anyone to really hang out with you. But it was only the first month... surely you'd find the people you were supposed to be friends with and have these grand adventures with soon! You'd just need to come out of your shell a little... which was easier said than done.

But you were determined tonight! You had an entire dorm floor of possible friends and you just needed to have that chance encounter with one of them. You knew that since it was a Saturday night, there would for sure be a chance for lots of people to be coming and going.

With a pep talk to yourself and the desire to make a new friend, you exited your room. The hallway, to your surprise, was empty and deathly silent. Unusual from what you had gotten used to in the last month. You didn't let it shake you though and instead made your way through. Your idea had been to make it look like you were walking to the front desk since you had a package to pick up and then have your chance encounter.

The entire walk was silent though and you were starting to panic. Your idea had been brilliant? So why was no one out here to start a conversation with?

Your heart sunk and then jumped when you turned the final corner of your hall and spotted someone. It was the boy who you had seen a few times before when you'd be rushing to class. He looked rather upset as he struggled with the door in front of him and then sighed in defeat.

"Are you okay?" You asked him and he tensed up.

Curly green hair and emerald green eyes came into your vision. He had a lot of freckles and looked to be a bit spooked that you had shown up so suddenly. He must have not seen or heard you coming while he was trying to unlock the door to his room.

"A-Ah... yes and no." He chuckled awkwardly. "I think I left my key inside of the room when I left for class earlier and it looks like my roommate isn't here so I can't get into my room."

You gave him a frown. "How long is your roommate going to be gone for?"

He pondered a moment. "Until around nine? He's taking astronomy so, its a late class."

"That's pretty long to wait." You told him and looked at your phone's clock. "It's barely past seven now. Are you going to wait that long?"

"I-it's really no bother!" The boy waved his hands back and forth in front of you. "I-I can always go to the common area here or even to the dining hall!"

Even with those possible options for him, you still felt bad for the guy. He looked exhausted and seemed to want nothing more than to head into his room and pass out. With a quick inhale you gave the boy a determined expression and he looked back at you curiously.

"Well... it would apss the time more if you had company!" You announced to him and then got shy realizing how demanding that sounded. "S-so if you want company... I can hopefully give you some."

"A-Are you sure... I don't want to make you f-feel like you have to."

"It's no bother. I was actually going to pick up a package and then watch a movie. So, I'm around if you want to have someone to talk to." You explained and then blinked as the boy smiled at you.

"Well- Then I can't say no if you're offering, can I?" He chuckled and gave you yet another bright smile.

"Great!" You clapped your hands together. "Mind if I get my package first?"

"Not at all um..." He blushed in embarrassment. "I didn't ask for your name... I'm so sorry."

You waved your hands before you this time. "D-don't apologize... I kinda appeared out of nowhere, huh?"

You looked off and moved a lock of your hair to make yourself look like you needed to focus on that and not this boy's sweet face.

"But, since we should probably introduce ourselves... I'm (Last Name) (First Name). I live on the opposite end of the hallway and around the corner. So that's probably why you've never seen me before."

"Yeah I don't wonder down there since my room is right where you enter our floor." He responded and held out his hand to you nervously. "I'm Midoriya Izuku by the way."

"It's nice to meet you, Midoriya." You greeted him and shook his hand.

"Same to you, (Last Name)." You told him and motioned for him to follow you. "You're back late tonight, what were you up to?"

"Oh! I was coming back from my class."

"A Saturday class? You and your roommate were not very lucky, huh?"

"It's not so bad, I have Sundays and Mondays off, so its like those days have become my weekends now." Midoriya told you with an awkward chuckle. "You don't have any classes on Saturdays?"

"Nope. I have free days on Fridays too and Sundays of course." You chatted with him. "So I got really lucky I guess."

"You really did! Though... I don't mind this late class."

"Really what is it?"

"Ah. My major is writing so I've been going to a graphic novel course to learn how to write and draw."

"Oh!" You beamed. "You want to be a writer and artist?"

"For comic books." Midoriya elaborated. "I know its a little lame but-"

"Not lame at all!" You gushed and looked at him brightly. "I read comics all the time! You need to let me read yours sometime!"

"Y-You do? You want to read mine?" He looked absolutely startled by this. "A-are you sure... its all pretty amuerter..."

"Everyone starts out as an amueter." You told him. "So... I won't judge and one day will look back and know I was one of the first to read your stuff!"

Midoriya chuckled again and nodded to you. The conversation between the pair of you seemed to flow much easier now that you had something to talk about. And you did so through the night until his roommate returned. But not before Midoriya said he'd come by your place tomorrow to show you what he had been working on.

And just like that... you had gotten your first college friend. And one you couldn't be happier to have made.