Late Night Coffee P.1 (Shinsou Hitoshi)

For @Spoonforsoupp

It was late. Too late for any reasonable person to wander into this little cafe with the desire to order a coffee. Or at least a sane and rational person. That was what you thought anyway.

You had been a barista there for a while and only recently picked up extra hours over your summer break to earn some extra cash. Your boss put you on late night hours though. The cafe was one of the few that closed at midnight, so lots of teenagers and young adults would wander in for a late coffee with cake, but never past the hour of ten.

After that, the place would be pretty dead. The only other people who wandered in would only ever order something like a pastry or tea and leave. Even then, it wasn't like any of them were usuals who came in every night at that time and ordered the same thing.

So that was why that guy was so out of the norm to you! Ever since summer break started and you picked up these late-night shifts, he would wander in at the same time every night, order the same black coffee with two sugars, and then leave.

It had become something you would look forward to on these late nights. Once the rush of the evening died down and things got slow, you'd start to guess what he might be wearing. Sometimes he came in sweats and a t-shirt, other times pajamas, and even the odd casual day attire.

You hummed as your mind thought about him and you poured the usual drink. You started to do so a week in, wanting to not make him wait since the guy always looked so exhausted! He always seemed to appreciate it too and made sure to leave you with a kind nod of his head.

Tonight appeared to be no different as right when you capped the drink, your mystery night customer wandered in. Looks like it was sweats and a sweatshirt tonight too! He wandered over to the counter as you slid the drink over to him. He placed the money down and you quickly got the change.

"You're my only regular at this hour." You chuckled to him.

"I wonder why." He replied and smirked at you. "Don't you get bored this late?"

"Sometimes... but I always manage to find something to occupy myself with." You told him. "Tonight its going through all the products we get ordered in and making sure none are expired."

"Sounds tedious."

"Passed the time." You shrugged and then realized something. "Oh. I never told you my name, did I?"

"(Name)." He responded.

"Whoa! How did you know?"

"You have a name tag."

You mentally slapped yourself.

"Maybe I need a coffee too..."

"Shinsou."

"Huh?"

"I'm Shinsou Hitoshi." He responded back to you. "Might as well tell you since you wanted to tell me yours even though I knew it."

"Well its nice to officially meet you then, Shinsou." You chuckled and then hummed. "Mind if I ask what you're doing up this late every night?"

"Insomnia."

"And so you drink coffee?"

"If I can't sleep, might as well be productive and coffee helps with that."

"Do you sleep though?"

"Usually when the caffeine wears off and I crash around dawn."

"That... sounds like quite the night- erm... nightly routine."

Shinsou chuckled. "You get used to it the longer your brain refused to let you sleep."

"Well... if you ever need a place to just hang out for a bit, we don't close until midnight. So you always have two hours here if you need to burn a bit of time."

"Are you telling me this hoping I'll come aorund mroe often and help relieve a bit of your boredom?" Shinsou smirked at you, obviously enjoying this conversation quite a lot.

"I make your coffee you know, I can always put salt in it or worse." You smirked back.

"I'm sure your manager would love to hear me tell him you did that then."

"You assume that he'd think his cute little brother would do such a thing?!" You feigned shock and chuckled.

"Oh? Is this shop a family one?"

"No, but my manager loves to act like the big brother type and always is treating me like his baby brother."

"Sounds like quite the place to work."

"It is when its busy." You sighed and then exhaled slowly. "Anyway, I shouldn't keep you if you've got stuff to do before you crash later."

"Thanks." Shinsou nodded at you and turned to head to the door.

He paused before he left though and looked back at you.

"I guess I'll see you tomorrow night and maybe I'll stick around for a while longer to keep you company until you need to do your job."

"I'd like that." You told him and waved goodbye.

Shinsou returned the wave and soon was gone from your sight. The rest of the night was boring but as usual, you clung to the hope that he would show up again and free you from boredom as he always did, even if just for the passing minute.

Little did you know though, that starting the following night, Shinsou's routine would change. He would still come in at the same time, order the same thing, and make light conversation with you, but now he would stick around until you closed.

The pair of you idly chatted about anything and anything that came to mind and shared your thoughts, feelings, and more. Something that could only happen at the late-night hour with such ease after all.

A budding friendship bloomed between you both as the summer went on, but as always, seasons end. So, with summer nearing its end and school starting up again, you knew your nightly shifts would end soon. And thus, your time with Shinsou.

But you'd be damned to let him go so easily! The next time you saw him... you were going to tell him how you really felt and get a phone number to stay in contact! Just because summer was ending didn't mean your relationship with him had to! No, if anything... you were determined to make it much more.

All you had to do now... was wait for him to come in, as he always did.