Chapter 14

"I heard her scream, and once I got there...she was gone!"

Adrien froze. He stared at Marinette with wide eyes and she was equally as shocked. Tikki and Plagg grew worried. Adrien felt everything in his world stop and crash. Everything was falling. Why won't they stop?

Adrien hung up, and there was a deathly silence. Marinette saw in his eyes that he was distraught. So many emotions were flying by at the same time, but this one was the one that shown the most in his eyes. Marinette knew that he had a huge soft spot for Charisse in the short time that he's gotten to know her. And she knew that he would do everything in his will to protect her.

Tikki shook her head, "Poor Charisse. She must be so scared." She stared at the flabbergasted duo. "Well, what are you guys standing there for? Transform!"

Adrien nodded in agreement, still dazed. "Right. Plagg, claws out!"

"Tikki, spots on!"

The miraculous duo, Ladybug and Chat Noir came out from the shadows, ready to take down the next akumatized victim. The students of the school were at awe when they saw the crime-fighters land in the middle of their dance-floor area. Some even cheered, while others took pictures. But then they realized that the two of them were deadly serious about something. Chat extended his staff, and he leapt out of the building, Ladybug about to follow suit before she heard someone behind her.

"Ladybug, is it an akuma that destroyed our work?" Nathanael asked, confused.

Ladybug stared after the direction Chat went in, and looked back at the worried staff and students. She sighed, before she turned around to address the crowd.

"Yes, I believe an akuma has destroyed the beautiful decorations for the school," she started. "Therefore, I suggest you refrain from redecorating and postpone this school dance until further notice. Once the akuma has been stopped, the decorations will be restored. Until then, I advise you all go back home and stay safe. Chat and I will do everything in our power to stop the akuma." With that, she threw her yoyo and pulled herself out of the school, catching up with her partner, who was only a few rooftops away.

"So what's the plan?" She asked, landing next to her boyfriend.

Chat pointed in the direction of his house, "We go to my house and investigate. We know that Avery, if it really is him, has kidnapped Charisse. So, who's to say that he hasn't kidnapped other children as well? We'll ask my parents exactly what happened, and find clues around Charisse's room."

Ladybug nodded, and the two headed off to the Agreste manor. Landing at the front door, Chat Noir banged on the door, and it revealed Nathalie, who remained nonchalant despite the chaos going on behind her. The duo can see maids and servants with a cellphone, calling the police, and possibly reporting a missing child.

"Ladybug, Chat Noir, what an unexpected surprise," the red-head said. "Please, come in."

The two stepped inside, and saw Amelie waiting at the top of the steps, distraught. Gabriel stood next to her, his expression remaining the same. Chat wondered if his father even cared at this point.

"Ladybug and Chat Noir, thank goodness you're here." Amelie greeted them, coming down the steps. "Our daughter Charisse has gone missing, and we don't know where she could've gone."

"Can you tell me exactly what happened?" Ladybug asked.

"I left her in her room to play by herself, because I know she can be trusted to be by herself in her bedroom. And after an hour or so, I came back upstairs to check on her. Halfway to her room, I hear her windows shatter and she screamed. By the time I got there, there was this...boy on a flying horse, harshly carrying my daughter away," Amelie blew her nose into a handkerchief. "Please, bring her back. My children, her and her brother, mean the world to me, and I don't want to lose another kid. Please."

Chat Noir could feel tears forcing its way out, and he turned around so that they wouldn't be able to see. Amelie gave him a confused look, but Ladybug covered up for him. "He's met Charisse before, trust me. He has a soft spot for kids, so he's a little emotional. But don't worry," Ladybug rested a reassuring hand on the older woman's shoulder, "We'll find your daughter, you can count on us."

Amelie nodded, "I know she would be ecstatic to hear that her favorite superhero in the whole world would bring her back home safely."

Chat Noir heard footsteps come up from behind him, and he turned around, not caring that they could see the tears streaming down his face. Amelie gave him a weak smile, and hugged him. Chat was taken back by the gesture, knowing he hasn't met the woman like this before, but soon he wrapped his arms around the woman as well.

"I trust you, Chat." She whispered, "I put my daughter's fate in your hands. I know she wants nothing more than for you to save her. Please bring her back home."

Chat pulled away and gave a reassuring smile, "I will, you can count on us."

"Oh, really?"

Three heads turned to the man on the top of the steps. Gabriel Agreste slowly descended the stairs, and Chat could only glare at the man for seeming so heartless. "Do you really think that I would be able to trust two teens who are kids themselves to find a child, rather than an army, or the police force?"

"Mr. Agreste, this is no ordinary kidnapping, this is an akuma attack. We don't know if Charisse was the only target, but if she wasn't, then there is more behind this story than you think." Ladybug stated confidently, "We have saved many lives before, old and young. Therefore you're going to have to trust us."

"This is no ordinary child, this is my daughter. She is the only one I have, and I do not care if you have saved 'other lives.' I trust the army more than you two."

"Mr. Agreste, if you choose the army, or the police force, your daughter probably won't be found until days, maybe weeks from now. Their process for the kidnapping is slow. Chat and I have fought akumas in three hours or less, and we always save people they may have targeted. We will return your daughter quickly and safely." Ladybug was getting annoyed by the man's attitude.

Gabriel thought for a moment, "Then I give you forty-eight hours to find my daughter and the other potential victims. If you fail to return her to us, I will call the police."

Ladybug and Chat looked at each other, before Ladybug returned her attention to the older man, "Deal."