Chapter 3

Adrien and Marinette were walking to a café for lunch, wanting to spend time with each other. Holding hands, they chatted happily as they approached the restaurant. Inside had a warm environment, people talking merrily and eating their foods and sipping their drinks. Marinette and Adrien stood at the cash register, waiting to order their food. When they sat down at their table outside, Marinette sighed wearily.

"It's been a while since we've had an akuma attack. I wonder what Hawk Moth is up to." She bit into her sandwich and chewed slowly.

"Antsy, my lady?" Adrien asked with a smirk on his face. "I thought you liked spending time with me."

"Yeah, well, it's not like we see much of each other besides school. I mean, your mother just came back after five years, and you need to catch up with her. I don't want to be the one who gets in the middle of that." Marinette looked down at her sandwich, appetite lost.

Adrien saw the suddenly sullen look on her face and held her free hand lovingly in his own. "Hey, you will never get in the middle of anything. Protecting you is my top priority, so don't think that you getting in the middle of anything will make me hate you."

Marinette offered a small smile. "I know. But you barely come out of your house anymore. And when I want to hang out with you, you suddenly have a photoshoot, or fencing, or Chinese, or piano! Plus, you're always babysitting Charisse and doing homework, and when you come for patrols, you're so tired."

Adrien pondered for a moment, realizing what she said is true. He rarely had time to hang out with friends anymore, because of everything that has been going at home. He didn't think it was that bad until he heard it from Marinette himself. Marinette, seeing how quiet he was, shook her head quickly.

"I-I'm sorry. I'm being completely selfish. I sound like some clingy girlfriend, and I don't want to fall into that category."

"I kinda like you being clingy. It makes me feel as though my princess needs her knight." Adrien winked, kissing her hand and releasing his grasp. Marinette blinked and rolled her eyes.

"Yeah, okay, kitty. Actually, I think I like not having you around all the time."

Adrien gasped dramatically, his hand over his chest. "My lady, you wound me. I need to be healed. Perhaps, a kiss will make it better?" He puckered his mouth, only to feel a warm finger instead of another pair of lips.

Marinette laughed. "Not now, silly kitty, later."

Adrien pouted, but eventually smiled. Out of the corner of his eye, however, he spotted a black butterfly fluttering towards the east side. It was a strange looking creature, with hints of purple here or there on its skin...

Wait. That's no ordinary butterfly.

"Akuma!" Adrien shouted, alerting Marinette and several others as they looked at the boy. He didn't pay no mind to them, however, as he grabbed Marinette's hand and ran in the direction the akuma went in. Sure enough, there it was floating down the street. Adrien and Marinette's faces turned into a look of determination, and they quickly found an alleyway to transform in. Out came Ladybug and Chat Noir, as they jumped from rooftop to rooftop to look for the butterfly.

"There it is!" Ladybug shouted, their eyes landing on the animal. It started to head towards the elementary school. But before they both could race there, a distressed cry for help appealed to them, and they turned around to see a woman being cornered by burly men. Ladybug looked this way and that, not sure what to do. Stop the akuma or help this lady?

"Don't worry, my lady. I'll take care of the akuma. You go help the woman." Chat offered, getting a bit scared. His sister attended the school, and he didn't want anything happening to her.