Surprising visit

"Have a seat, Draco." Said Professor McGonagall, motioning him to sit in front of her desk. She hurried to a shelf.

Draco tapped his feet impatiently. "Professor, is it true that a transformation has taken place?"

"One wouldn't believe so. After all, hardly anyone trusts the stars. They could be mistaken."

Draco frowned. "But what do you believe?"

Professor McGonagall picked a a quill and sat at her desk. "Well," she said, with a slight frown on her face, "I have my doubts. But yes, I do believe a transformation has happened. The howler you all received does seem to prove so."

She scribbled something on the parchment and hurriedly sealed the parchment.

Fawkes sat in the corner and looked at the Professor questioningly. Just as Professor McGonagall was about to ask her owl to send the letter, Fawkes flew up to McGonagall.

"Fawkes!" She called as the Phoenix dove in. "Take this to Kingsley." And at once the Phoenix flew out of sight.

Then Professor McGonagall ran out of the room, her wand and a bag in her hand.

Draco's face turned grave. "Then Hermione..."

"...is in danger." Said Professor Slughorn, walking in. Draco stared at him.

"Dear boy, it is no secret. All the staff have heard about it." He said, walking around the room. And just then, the rest of the teachers rushed in. And indistinctive chatter began.

"Professor," Said Draco impatiently to Slughorn. "What are we going to do about this?"

He turned to Draco, "We protect the school, of course."

Draco's eyes narrowed to slits. "I know that. But what about Hermione?"

Professor McGonagall paused to look at Draco. "She's safe as long as she's with one of you. Isn't that what they said, the centaurs ?"

"Yes," said Draco. He could feel his temper rising. "Yes, that's what they said. But what can we do to make sure she's safe?"

Professor McGonagall thought for a moment. "I will have a teacher accompany Hermione, and I will cast a spell on her that will alert us if she is ever alone. It is a protective charm, Draco." Then she looked at him. "It will, however, last only until and unless she wants it to last."

Draco frowned. "What do you mean, professor?" He asked.

Professor McGonagall sighed. "If she doesn't want it, it will not work. And by that I mean it will not alert us. She has to want it, Draco. At least that's the spell the Centaurs told me to use."

Draco thought for a while. "Professor... Do you think something is going to change that?"

Professor McGonagall and Professors Slughorn exchanged glances. "I haven't a clue, Draco," she said. "But I can assure you that this spell works well with the willing. I've used it a number of times myself." She added, matter-of-factly.

Draco looked at Professor McGonagall's tired eyes. He sighed.

"Thank you Professor." He said and turned to leave.