The first Great Ball

A lot had been going on. Hermione had received and written letters to Percy, George and Mrs. Weasley (who had left the school) that week.

Her parents and Hagrid had been found hiding in No. 12 Grimmauld Place, where Professor McGonagall and Aberforth had gone to make their memories permanent.

Hermione was happy, but sad at the same time that she couldn't visit them because of 'security reasons.'

Then the time to get ready for the ball had come.

Hermione frowned.

"Don't worry, Hermione. You look beautiful!"

Hermione gave a small smile.

"Ginny, how do you do it?" She asked.

"Do what?" Said Ginny, picking up her makeup brush.

Hermione pointed at her. "This. All of this. How do you do it?"

Ginny laughed. "Really, Hermione. Wearing dresses and makeup is not really something I enjoy, but when I have to, I wear it with style." She said, winking playfully at Hermione.

Hermione laughed. "Ginny, I realise I don't like wearing dresses anymore. I don't know, after the War, they seem so impractical."

Ginny sighed. Both of them kept their things down and stared out of their window.

"The War changed a lot of things, didn't it?" Ginny asked, softly.

Hermione shrugged. "I don't know, Ginny. For most of us it did. For me? Maybe it did, maybe it didn't. But I hope I'm still the same."

Ginny smiled at Hermione. "Okay now, let's finish getting ready and go down, we have to have fun tonight!"

---

Draco adjusted his golden tie. I really hope she wears gold, he thought. But even if she doesn't, Black and gold matches with everything.

That's the safest I can play.

Harry was tying his shoelace. Dressed in an elegant, black dress robe, he looked dashing.

"Whose Weasley going with?" Draco asked Harry.

"Uh- me?" Harry said, confused. Draco laughed.

"No, I mean Ronald. Who is he going with?"

Harry thought for a while. "Lavender Brown, I think."

Draco scoffed. Harry sighed. "I know you know about the discomfort between Ron and Hermione. It usually happens, but they always get back together."

Harry turned to Draco. "You must know that we love Hermione like a sister."

Draco rolled his eyes. "Please don't give me that Cliché speech now."

Harry raised his eyebrows comically. "What, the 'if you hurt her speech?' That's for her dad and mum. What I was going to say is that We- me, Ginny love Hermione as a sister.
Whether Ron feels that way or something more, I can't say. But Draco, Ron can be a bit aggressive. You know he doesn't like you as much as we do.

"You should expect some bitter words, and in the worst case, violence. But, if Ron does do something, don't do anything back unless it's a life and death situation. You have to tell me if anything happens, though we'll be nearby. And don't you start thinking that you'll be all macho and can handle yourself and don't need help, but this isn't about helping you; it's about helping Ron. "