Chapter 10

I look back up, realizing it's pitch black out. Oh god. She has to get home. She's half asleep it looks like. Was I sleeping? All I did was put my head down. I must've fell asleep. Huh. Weird. I wake her up.

"Natalie."

"Mm what?" She looks around like where am I?

I laugh.

"We really have to get you home. Check your phone to see if your mom called."

I check my phone as she does too and I have 9 missed calls and 23 unread messages. She has 4 missed calls and about 37 unread text messages. It's 11 at night.

"Oh crap. They probably have the police looking for us or something." I say, turning on the car driving away quickly.

"I hope they don't think we're doing anything bad. We just fell asleep."

I glance over at her and see she's texting her mom that's she's so sorry and we both fell asleep in the car watching the sunset.

"There. It's practically not lying." She laughs and sets her phone down watching out the window.

"The first time we hang out together and were probably gonna be in big trouble." I shake my head and quietly laugh. She gets a text.

"My mom said she was worried sick and she called your mom. They had the police looking for us but they couldn't find us. She said I can go to your house first so your mom knows your okay. Since my mom already knows."

I nod as in agreement and stop at a red light. I tap my foot on the gas pedal.

"Tonight was a lot of fun." I say, looking straight ahead, but watching her from the corner of my eye. She smiles. A real smile. A meaning smile. Not a fake, dumb one, a real one. It makes me smile too.

"It really was. Thanks. We should do this again sometime. Really."

"Really? You mean that?" I ask, hitting the pedal as soon as the light turns green.

"Yes of course I do! It was a lot of fun even though our moms got scared to death. Your mom probably still is unless my mom called her."

I nod as I pull beside the curb. I see my mom watching through the window. Creepy, I think and laugh to myself.

I open the door as my mom comes running up to me and hugging me.

"MARCEL!!! YOUR OKAY? YOUR NOT HURT??? WHAT HAPPENED!!! I WAS SO SCARED AND I JUST COULDNT-"

"MOM!" I laugh and hug her. "Mom I'm fine. We both fell asleep in the car at the lake. We were tired. We went swimming and we were sore too."

"Oh my god. I'm just so happy your here. And where's Natalie? Did you drop her off?"

"Hi." Natalie says, awkwardly standing by the door still.

"Oh I'm glad you're okay too Natalie! Does your mother know? I might wanna call her. I should call her shouldn't I? Yeah I'll-"

"Mom..."

"Yes sweetheart?"

"Her mom already knows." I take off my sweatshirt and hang it up on the coat hanger.

"We're both fine. Your fine. Just settle."

She laughs and kisses me on the head.

"Thank you Natalie for coming."

"Don't thank me. Thank you for inviting me." She smiles and looks at me.

"I' gotta drive her back mom."

"Didn't she walk here?"

"It's dark..."

"Alright you." She smiles and walks away.

I drive Natalie back home, and drop her off doing a drive by.

"Thank you Marcel. This was the most fun I think I've ever had." She smiles and walks back up to her house door, leaving me to watch her. She meant it. I could see it in her eyes.